Twenty Seven: Surprises

"It has literally only been eight days!" I snap, shoving away Grace's sketches of my supposed 'wedding' with Jason. He, a black and blue tuxedo, myself a white dress with blue decorations and bridesmaid dresses that are designed like French maid costumes.

Yah...

Eight days. Eight since the night he told me he could handle a relationship; seven since the attack. Batman is still investigating the Yakuza girl.

"Does all of this scare you Venny?" Grace asks, as I stand up from beside her and walk to the kitchen to pour some wine.

"No. It's you guys this is scaring. That's why you've been here for four hours whilst I'm trying to do work," I reply, downing the full glass in one go.

"Alright. When are you going to an alcoholics anonymous meeting?"

"When I turn into an alcoholic," I snap.

"Well you're not far off."

I jump, looking to my lift door which is just opening. It fully opens to reveal Jason standing there.

There's a chance I may have smiled like an excited child. He had stayed over night here only three times in the past week or so, which I don't mind. I know the Hood takes up time.

But still, I missed him.

"Grace, this is Jason. Jason this is my friend and neighbour Grace."

"Nice to meet you," the red head grins, walking over and shaking Jason's hand.

"Same to you. You'd be the first of her friends she's introduced to me."

"Because she's the first who won't attack you, try to get in your pants, jump you, scream at you, threaten you or try to smell you."

"Yeah. I just drew you instead," Grace grins.

"Drew-"

"Anyway Grace I'll see you later," I interrupt Jason before he can ask the question that will lead to my demise (Grace showing him her picture).

Grace bids us goodbye and leaves to go back to her apartment.

"She drew me?"

"Don't ask," I shake my head, sipping some more wine.

"Sorry I haven't been around lately," he begins, leaning back on the counter beside me.

"It's okay. You know I understand," I reply, filling my glass up therefore emptying the bottle.

"How's work?"

"Things have quietened down now that I'm back. You want a drink?"

He shakes his head with a small smile, "No, I can't stay." He moves closer to me, reaching out and touching my waist gently.

Oh. I feel a little sad, but nod. "Okay." I begin drinking my next full glass. Jason leans forward and kisses my cheek with a small smile.

Goddamn does he smell good. The perfect combination of leather and him. I used to hate the smell of cigarettes but on him it's nearly addictive.

"What are you doing now?" He asks me.
"I'm supposed to choose one of Grace's designs for the Hospital Rebuild Charity Ball. You're going, right?" I say, reaching behind him to grab the five sketches from the bench.

Jason sighs and pulls me closer to him, staring at the ceiling in thought. "Any other time I'd say no. Would most likely end up shoved at a table with the others."