Thirty: The Psychiatrist and The Assassin

"Do you like them?"

I sit on the living room floor of my apartment. It's dark and snowing outside, Christmas only two weeks away.

In front of me sits two, small, chubby Rottweiler puppies. Jason bought me one, the girl, and I bought myself the male one.

Damian's questions lingers in the air for a moment. "I love them. They'll be protecting me and my house for a long time," I tell him.

"Have you named them?"

It had taken promises and wine and I still refused Jason's request. Only when Bruce asked did I cave.

They wanted Dami to have a female role model. Bruce's on/off girlfriend by the name of Selina is unsuitable for reasons I found when I read her file.

His mother is a million miles away, Steph is too young, Barbra can't stand him and Ginger's a slut. So, lucky me. Saturday night with a kid.

"I've named the boy Levi. The girl however is yet to be named. Do you have a suggestion?" I ask.

"No. It is not my dog," he says, standing up from the carpet. He is extremely cold and has no interest in creating any sort of friendship.

At least, that's what someone without my degrees would say.

This kid is screaming for someone to love him. I doubt Bruce shows him much attention. I don't know what his mother is like... but I feel sorry for him.

"How about Cinnamon? It's what my favourite character on my favourite show names his dog."

Damian washes his plate in the sink and shakes his head. "It does not suit her," he says.

I watch as Levi yawns softly, before rolling onto his back with a squeak. His legs remain pointed up to the ceiling. I myself want to squeal.

Keep it together Meadow.

"I am bored." Little shit.

"What would you like to do? I have you for one more hour."

"I would like to train." I resist the urge to facepalm or glare at him. I major and minor in psychological areas. I should be able to figure him out.

Ah, an idea.

"Come with me," I say, picking up Levi and unnamed female. I place them in their basket on the couch and wrap them up.

Damian follows me out onto the balcony. "What is the point of this, Meadow? It is cold," he complains. I don't say anything as I switch the light on and step out.

My balcony is closed off to protect my garden from the weather. Damian spends a moment observing all of the different plants.

"With my job, there is a mountain and a half of stress. People expect a lot of me, because of my predecessors," I say. "I bet you understand that, more than anyone."

He blinks at me, something flickering in his eyes. "So you garden as stress reliever." That, and sex with Jason I nearly say. Lucky I remember who I am talking to.

"Yes," I say, reaching out and patting down some stray soil. "And you? What things do you enjoy? Other than training and killing and treating Tim cruelly."

He frowns, "Who told you?"

"Jason of course, but we'll get to that later. Now, tell me." I sit down on the outdoor sofa and pat the spot next to me. He looks skeptical, but drops beside me slowly.