A Horan Thanksgiving

Start from the beginning

"Wait, she told daddy?!" You asked, chuckling a little. Donovan nodded. "That's a little strange," You giggled, "It's definitely not that serious."

"That's what I'm saying," Donovan said, his lips curling up into a small grin. 

"I'll talk to her," You promised, before offering a wooden spoon to your son. "Want to come help mommy with the stuffing?" Your little dude nodded eagerly and slid out of the tall chair, abandoning his Nintendo on the table. He took the spoon from you and you instructed him to carefully mix the ingredients together. He gripped the large mixing bowl and did just that, following your instructions to perfection. That's where your children differed. They were 100% blood-related siblings, but sometimes it was hard to tell. Donovan was a kind and sweet boy with a gentle heart and sensitive feelings. He really was an innocent mixture of you and Niall put together into one little boy. But Fallon, on the other hand, was a rebel in disguise. She looked like such a sweetheart, and at times she could be one, but hidden behind that sweet little grin was a girl with a strong heart and enough determination to tackle a nation. She was strong-willed and you often found her doing the opposite of what you and Niall had instructed her to. Whereas Donovan was excellent at following directions, Fallon always wanted to do her own thing and follow her own path. You still hadn't decided whether that would turn out to be a strong or weak trait of hers.

Not even five minutes later, Niall came wandering into the kitchen with Fallon in his arms again. 'Daddy's girl' isn't even an accurate enough term to describe her relationship with her father. "Hey," Niall smiled lazily, pressing his lips to your cheek. You turned your head to meet your lips with his for a longer lasting kiss. But you parted with a simultaneous chuckle when Fallon dramatically groaned in disgust and turned away. 

"Mom, I'm done mixing the stuffing," Donovan proudly announced, pushing the bowl toward you.

You beamed at him and patted his back, saying, "Thank you so much, buddy. You're so helpful." He smiled at your words, but his smile was soon crushed when Fallon stuck her tongue out at him. She hated when he was getting attention and she wasn't. She always wanted all the love, so whenever you or Niall paid even the slightest bit of attention to her brother rather than her, she grew very envious. 

"Hey, you ready to talk yet?" Niall asked, raising his eyebrows at Donovan. Donovan glared at Niall and stubbornly shook his head, marching out of the room. It wasn't fair. Niall always takes her side, he thought to himself as he stomped down the hall to his room.

"Niall," You snapped, earning his attention. "You can't take one child over the other. If there's a problem, you need to hear both sides of it before making a judgement," You told him, pouring the stuffing that Donovan had mixed into a baking dish for the oven. 

"Well he stormed off on me earlier, like he did just now. He won't let me hear his side, anyway. What am I supposed to do?" He defended himself, placing Fallon on her feet.

"You're supposed to put Fallon down for two damn seconds and pay a little attention to your son, too," You hissed, shoving the stuffing into the oven, on the rack beneath the turkey. Brushing your hands off, you dropped the oven mitts on the counter and left the kitchen in a huff. You were stressed out and aggravated. The last thing you needed on Thanksgiving, for Pete's sake, was for your family to be divided like this.