Many students had been glad that hell would soon be over and that they could move on, but Zayne knew that in high school they had it easy. The big bad world was going to slap them senseless. He figured he was prepared for it.

Barely.

******

It had always been an unspoken rule that everyone stared at Zayne Mahone as he walked down the hallway with his two best friends by his side. Most of the girls gripped the straps of their backpacks, biting their bottom lips and Zayne threw them a wink just to tease them.

A hand suddenly gripped around his bicep and he winced when Cara Stevenson's nails dug into his skin. She smiled, not noticing the torture she was putting him through and placed a hand on the small of his back.

Cara had been Zayne's girlfriend for only half a year and they'd broken up after the New Years Eve party when Zayne found Cara in bed with one of the other football players.

Hayden, his best friend, whistled from behind them, nudging Chase who wore a smirk on his face. Zayne refrained from flipping them off, separating Cara's hand from his back and gave her a smile as fake as hers was.

"Hello Cara." He said, "Cheated on anymore guys lately?"

Cara sneered at him, trying not to take offense of what he said and glared at Hayden when he laughed. Hayden noticed her glare and began to cough violently, trying to cover up the laugh.

She pursed her lips, "Anyway Zayne, I wanted to talk to you about what happened,"

Zayne groaned under his breath, not liking that he was reminded of the night that had been hovering over him like a cloud. He didn't want to be reminded about how stupid he'd been to be with her. He didn't even like her. Chase's face darkened as he moved the blonde away from his best friend.

"Zayne doesn't really want to talk  about that right now," he gave her a sour-sweet smile, "Please come back after your STI test,"

Cara huffed, turning away from him and stomped down the hallway. Her friends, who had been hovering around the jocks' lockers ran after her, each of them juggling one of her items.

Zayne nodded at his friends in appreciation, "Thanks guys,"

Hayden waved it off and glanced at the group of girls walking down the hallway before noticing the girl walking amongst them with her attention elsewhere. She stared at the ground deep in thought and only glanced up when the taller brunnete, Rachel Grey, nudged her with a smirk.

"Zayne," Hayden nudged his friend and nodded towards the girl walking in their direction, "Tris Jacobs,"

Zayne looked up, tugging at his lower lip while biting back a smirk. The girls walked past them, only three of them bothering to look up at the boys and nod in acknowledgement. Only Tris continued walking, too lost in her own world to care.

Her hair had been done in a messy ponytail, different from the others who had all done sophisticated hairstyles and had straightened their hair. Zayne knew from that moment she was different and getting her seemed like it would've been fun.

"Seems easy," he commented, turning to his friends, "That spot is as good as mine."

Chase rolled his eyes just as the bell rang over head and they began to walk to their classes that were surprisingly close together. Zayne glanced at Chase, raising an eyebrow at the roll of his eyes.