Chapter 24

A/N: Thank you all SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO much for 5k reads. It was the best birthday present ever and I love you all so much! As promised, here is the next chapter...

Disclaimer: J.K. Rowling owns all characters, settings, and etc. in this story

_______________________________________________________________________________

Recap: The voices came closer at an agonizingly slow pace when they ceased right in front of the curtains with a "shush!" Lily's heartbeat sped up as if she were running for her life and she squeezed her eyes shut, preparing to get caught and yelled at. The figure before the curtain studied it for a moment before speaking up.

"Nevermind, I thought I saw something. Must have been a rat." Lily's eyes widened in recognition of the voice and dared not to breathe as the footsteps continued to pass her until she could no longer hear them. After assuring that no one was there, she quickly dashed out from behind the curtain and to the entrance to the school. Several questions plagued her mind as she rushed to catch up to the boys. The one that stood out the most, however, was the question of why would Severus help her?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a few minutes of walking through the campus, Lily could finally see the Shrieking Shack. Loud howls filled the air and the cold wind of night bit at the exposed skin that the shorts and tee shirt left uncovered. She shivered, but continued down the creepy path to the Shack. She could see the boys in the shack on the map, but how were they not dead? Surely if they walked in there as humans, Remus, whether he was friend or foe, would have torn them to shreds.

As she neared the Shack, she heard voices that sounded familiar. Lily picked up the pace, trying to be as quiet as she could be. She approached the Shack itself and peered through the windows. A werewolf (most likely Remus) stood there. Only he wasn't alone. The beautiful stag that she occasionally talked to was there as well as a dog and a rat. Glancing down at the map, she saw the boys there. Was there a basement or tunnel under the shack? Lily crawled around the area and peered through windows to find an opening, but found nothing. 

The thought of the boys being animaguses was gnawing at the back of Lily's mind, but she shook it off. Lily had no other plans that were any safer than to barge in there and risk dying at the hands of her werewolf friend, so she decided to stake out. She watched through the window as the animals played with each other. After a few minutes of watching, her leg grew tired, so she shifted her weight. However, the werewolf inside the Shack noticed this movement and walked over to inspect.

The stag ran over to see what or who was there before anything happened. He was shocked to see Lily crouched there. His eyes widened as he realized the events coming and rammed himself into the werewolf. Crying out in pain, the stag slowly started to shift back into his human self. The werewolf took notice of both Lily and the person lying on the ground and howled. The dog sprinted over and started biting the werewolf's leg, trying to distract him, but was thrown off as the werewolf ran to where Lily was. The boy lying on the ground injured rolled over painfully and screamed for Lily to run. Only Lily froze in shock as she realized who the boy was. 

"James?!"