Not so Sweet Encounters

Start from the beginning

            While David and his mother ate sweetly, Laverne glanced at Keith and saw him having a serious expression. He had no difficulty at facing Keith after what happened in the morning, he was used to confrontations anyway, but it was very difficult for him to be in the same place as someone who reminds him so  much of his gone love.

            “I am so glad that you finally came home, Laverne.” David said. “Your mother and…” He saw David and Keith exchanging a few stares before David cleared his throat. “Your mother and I were really excited to have you move in here.” He continued. “I’m really glad to really meet you.”

            “I would be really glad to meet you to, if my mother introduced you to me before the wedding.” Laverne said sarcastically. “I was working really hard and then all of a sudden I would learn that my mother remarried and now I have a stepfather, and as a bonus I gained a stepbrother.” He said seriously. “How very exciting.” He said in a fake smile and fake happy tone, and then he changed to more serious expression instantly after saying those words.

            “Laverne…” His mother said, looking at him apologetically. “We’ll talk about this some other time.”

            “There’s no other time, mother. I am not planning on staying here, I’ll go back to my place tonight and you three could have a… happy… family.” Laverne said bitterly.

            “You’re not leaving this house.” Natalie said sternly. She looked dead serious. “Enough of this, Laverne. It had been months. We had tried to get in touch with you, talk to you, but you refused over and over again. We want to make things better for the all of us, because whether you like or not, we are family now. We can’t fix this if you keep on refusing to know them better, to spend time with them, and be with them.” Natalie continued.

            “Family? No one in this room even wanted me to be part of this family.” He said looking at Keith. “Because if you really do, then you would have told me your plans on getting married. Tell me mother, am I really that unimportant to you that you would have kept that marriage a secret from me. Doesn’t my opinion count anymore?” Laverne said. Slowly, he was losing control of his emotions again. “Father left us, and he never contacted me again. I was not important to him so he left me. He left for a new family. I thought that it was alright because I still have my mother that loves and cares for me, and then all of a sudden I would learn that you married without my knowledge and now you have a new family. It’s the same as leaving me. Am I unimportant to you, like I am to my father?”

            Laverne stood up and then walked back to his room. He felt really terrible. Why do all the people he loves leave him?

            His mother followed him to his room. She looked at him but Laverne refused to look at her. “Is that what you’ve been all this time?” His mother asked in a worried tone. “That I don’t care for you, that I left you just like your father?” She continued. “I’m sorry, for making you think that way. I understand. But, you are important to me, and I would never leave you. I admit, I became out-of-control, I married hastily, but David and I really loves each other. We acted so irresponsible and married without anyone else knowing, if I knew that it would hurt you like this then I wouldn’t have done it.”

            “It’s done, mother.” Laverne said coldly.

            “But it’s not over.” Natalie took Laverne’s hand and squeezed it tight. “We could start all over again. You just have to give David a chance. He is really a great person, and his son Keith is very lovely too. You know, they were both very worried about you last night. When Keith found you in that elevator last night…”