Ten: Monique's Happy Heart

Start from the beginning

I have been dropping hints all along but she is just as neutral as ever. We walk to the bus stop after the dinner. Her mother refuses to accept any money and I feel a little guilty for that. Kim left earlier, saying that her mother asks her to go home asap. I hope the two of us won't feel as awkward as before after the dinner.

The night is really cold. I am wearing only a very thin shirt and I can feel goosebumps on my arms. I try to rub both sides of my arms to generate some heat but it isn't helping. The wind is really strong. How I hope I am under my blanket now.

"You need it." I hear her say and a hoodie comes into my sight.

She is really thoughtful, but is she not cold? I look at her as I can see that her lips are quivering a little. I can't be selfish. She might need it too.

But she gives me an assuring smile along with a firm nod. I reach over for the hoodie as I look at her in the eyes. They say eyes are the window to the soul. I try to read her but she is like a close book.

"Thank you, Ellie." I shoot her an appreciative smile and she smiles back at me.

I like her dimple smile. I remember that she complimented me that I have a cute smile too when we were having dinner. I was trying my very best not to squeal in delight.

I see that bus 94 is arriving but Ellie isn't moving. Maybe she's still daydreaming. I stand up, getting ready to board when the bus stops in front of me.

"You can't take this bus?" I ask her when she shoots me an unreadable look.

It frustrates me somehow when I can't read her. I want to know her but she just shuts me away. Is it because we are still not that familiar yet?

She shakes her head with a smile, "You can go first you know? It's quite late now."

No. There's no way I will let this chance slip away. We can know each other better when we wait for the bus. We can talk and yeah, you know?

I sit back down, "I will wait with you."

Time flies without me knowing. We had some small talks while waiting for the bus. Then I thought about exchanging numbers just in case we wouldn't meet ass often in the future.

"Ellie, can we...exchange number"

"Sure." She says coolly and takes out her phone.

I hand over my phone to her as well and key in ouur number into each other's phone.

Once we are done, the bus arrives. It's as if god wants us to keep in touch before we separate again. I believe in fate. Does she?

We sit together side by side and I feel the need to talk to her. Because once we alight, we might not know when we'll be meeting again unless we ask each other out, which would probably never happen since she is such a shy girl.

"How old are you, Ellie?" I ask as I look into her eyes again. She looks away immediately. I smile a little.

"I am 18 this year. How about you?"

I know she is trying to sound casual. Who will talk without looking at the person she is conversing with if she isn't nervous? She is actually younger than me.

Well, age doesn't matter right? And I hope everyone will think that gender doesn't matter, too.

"Oh.. I am 19 this year. University life sucks." I grumble a little.

I can't stand the life in the unviversity because everyone is hyprocite. And boys are just flirting around. I hate it.

We talk for a little more and the bus suddenly makes a sharp turn to the left and her shoulder bumps into mine. It actually hurts because my arm hit the pole oon the bus as well earlier. But I don't want to make her feel guilty. She quickly checks on me and apologizes even though I say that I am fine. She doesn't believe it of course. She rubs on my shoulder and quickly stops when I look at her in the eyes again. How many times have I tried to look in the eyes but she will turn away? Countless.

We alight after the bus reaches the interchange. I dread this. I want to be near her for a while more. I don't want to say good bye to her and she seems to know it. So she just asks me to go home after I tell her to text me when she's home. We talk as if we are closer now. I like it.

I smile at her with my cheeks flush slightly. My heart flutters wildly now when she looks at me before I go. I run my fingers through my hair to hide my nervousness. I guess she knows it. But she just smiles.

Like we have promised, she texts me. She is so sweet. Maybe she can express herself better through text. I guess she didn't pick up the hint I gave her earlier, so I tell her that I would like to go to her parents' eatery with her again. I throw my phone on my bed and go for a quick shower.

When I coome out, I check my phone immediately. She didn't disappoint me.

I will bring you there again, I promise. Let's meet up soon, Monique. :) I want to know you better. - Ellie

I literally squeal and jump on my bed as I read the last sentence. My mother comes into my room and asks me to quiet down as my sister is sleeping already.

Am I dreaming right now? If yes, please don't wake me up.