Ten: Monique's Happy Heart

Start from the beginning

I notice her hand and I take it gladly, "Nice to meet you, Ellie."

My skin burns at the contact. It sends a tingly sensation all over my body. I don't feel like letting go of her hand so I hold onto it a little tighter when she wanted to let go, but of course, I don't want to look like a creep to her so I let it go as soon as that.

We are smiling to each other for a few seconds and then she suddenly looks down, "Uhm..Monique, I think.. I might need to go now.. it is getting quiet late n-now."

I definitely don't want that, but what can I do? I nod even though my heart screams NO.

"Well.. then I guess I've to go now." I can totally lie. I don't want to go.

However, my body is not obeying my brain. It is listening to my heart. I stay still even though she asked me to go home.

The funny thing is, she stands there quietly too when I am not moving an inch.

"Uhm..Monique?" She calls out after a moment.

I look at her eyes directly as I try to read her emotion, "Yes?"

I am eager to know what she wants to ask but I am afraid it might turn out otherwise as well.

"Have you had your dinner yet? Maybe.. w-we can have a dinner t-together if y-you don't mind." She stutters badly this time.

This is cute though. She actually asks me out for a dinner. And of course, I have totally forgotten that my stomach is growling and protesting to me.

"Well, sure.. I guess?" I say as I try my best to hide my overwhelmed emotion.

We agreed to have our dinner at a burger house. I notice one thing, she likes to stare at my face when I am not looking, but when I look at her, she will turn away. I smile a little as I know exactly the reason behind it. Kim hinted me and I have observed a little.

Maybe it is true that she's interested or maybe it's just that she's curious.

We reach the burger house not far from my house and we managed to have some small talk during the bus ride. She's really shy and quiet. I don't blame her though. Maybe it's her character.

A middle aged lady walks up to her and somehow nags at her. Are they related?

"I am sorry, mom."

So, they're related. The lady is Ellie's mother. She brings me to see her mother... Wait, what? That doesn't mean anything, right? I will just take things slowly.

There's something about Ellie which makes me curious. She's mysterious as she doesn't talk much. She looks like she is dazing when she is actually thinking a lot inside.

I order the same as her as I want to know what she likes the best.

"Your parents own this place?" I ask casually as I look around.

I don't really expect a long reply as the question is simple. I have tried asking her a few questions throughout the entire dinner but she will either give me short replies or a nod or shake her head. She is a hard nut to crack.

But she can be little dense. I said that I want to come to this eatery again and she thinks that I will bring my friends over or let her serve me. I was trying to hint her that she should bring me here again.

Somehow, I am really comfortable in conversing with the two cousins. Even though we don't talk much, at least it is better than talking to those who try to go after me or those hypocrites in school.

Ellie seems innocent and naive, but it doesn't mean that she's stupid. Or perhaps, it is because that we are still unfamiliar to each other that's why she doesn't respond much. That totally makes me wonder if she's really interested in me.