Chapter One

Music. Loud music. Our school dance was just getting started and Riley and I walked into the school gym, arms intertwined. As we stepped into the gym, the song changed to a slower song. I let go of Riley's arm, and she walked over to dance with Lucas. She had the biggest smile on her face.

Goofball.

Farkle then appeared infront of me, grinning like an idiot.

"So, Maya, since Riley's dancing with Lucas, that leaves you and me." His eyebrows raised as he extended his arm, offering me his hand.

Rolling my eyes, I took his hand and walked onto the floor with him.

I draped my arms over his shoulders as he gently placed his hands on my waist.

"You know, Maya, Riley and Lucas seem to be getting along pretty well."

"Yeah. Riley seems really happy with him."

"Do you think he'll ask her out?" Farkle hadn't smiled this whole conversation.

Weird.

We were swaying back and forth, barely moving our feet, nearing the end of the song.

"I'm not sure. If he does I know she'll be the happiest girl on earth, if she's not already." I laughed.

The song ended and the DJ played more upbeat, danceable songs. Farkle and I walked over to Riley and Lucas and started talking and dancing again.

"Riley, your dress is really pretty." Farkle said, finally smiling.

Riley was rocking a high low dress, tulle lining the bottom. It was royal blue, which looked amazing on her!

My dress? It was red. Strapless. It came just above my knees.

"Awh, thank you, Farkle." Riley grinned. She grabbed the ruffle of her dress and continued to dance.

I glanced over at Lucas and he was laughing. Him and Farkle were holding up a conversation and Riley and I were dancing with eachother.

"So, Riley, you and Lucas seem to be getting along very well." I smiled and looked over to Farkle and Lucas. They were no longer next to us.

Maybe they went to get some punch or something to eat. I don't know they're always up to something when they're together.

Like the time they made a mashed potato volcano at lunch.

"Yeah." Riley's big, goofy smile accompanied her giggle that slipped out of her mouth.

"You think he's going to ask you out?" I winked. Riley's cheeks turned a dark shade of red and her shoulders shrugged.

"I dunno. Hopefully." Her smile is so contagious, that even I was smiling and laughing along with her.

"Riley, Maya, ya'll thirsty?" Lucas asked. Him and Farkle each had two clear cups of punch in their hands.

Riley took a cup from Farkle and I grabbed one from Lucas. Taking a sip from the cup, I could taste a hint of strawberry and I think, mango.

But I also noticed a bitter after taste...

"Yeah, no Riley give me your drink." I took the cup from Riley's little hands and discarded both hers and mine in the trash.

"Maya why'd you do that?" Riley laughed.

"Someone spiked it, Riley. Farkle, Lucas, don't drink it." I crossed my arms over my chest and looked back and forth between the two boys.

Farkle quickly dropped his cup, causing Riley, Lucas and myself to step back in order to avoid getting splashed by the alcohol poisoned juice.

Lucas went over to toss his out and Farkle started questioning how I figured the punch had alcohol in it.

"I could smell it, and it tasted funny."

"How do you know what it smells like?" Lucas popped back into the conversation.

"I just do." I snapped at Ranger Rick.

I looked at the clock hanging on the wall behind us, and jumped at the time.

Why- How had the time gone by so quickly? I'm so stupid!

"I- I gotta get going, see you guys Monday." I waved and turned my back to my friends and started towards the door.

I walked out into the bitter, cold air and headed on my route home.

I walked through Riley's part of town and admired all the lighs, and the lack of people on the streets and side walks.

There were many cars on the streets. People going home, people going to meet a friend, a boyfriend, a girlfriend.

I finally entered my part of town and there was a noticeable difference.

No cars on the streets, but quite a bit of people on the sidewalks... but not the people you'd want to be around. People wearing hoodies. People who you know are carrying a gun, but also aren't permitted to.

I stopped by a food bank that was only a few blocks from my house to pick up food for the week.

"Pick up for Katy Hart." I said walking in.

"Ahh, yes. Here you go, Maya."

A felt a pang in my stomach hearing her call me by my first name. Do my mom and I really come here that often?

When I exited the building, it seemed to have gotten colder outside, and I was in a strapless dress... Fabulous.

Bags in hand, I continued home and tried to hurry as much one could while wearing heels.

Finally I made it to my apartment building and to my apartment.

"Mom I'm home!" I shouted, placing the bags of food on the table.

"Hey, Baby Girl. How was the dance?"

"It was pretty good. Someone spiked the punch." I laughed.

"Well that's not good." My mom said as she unpacked the grocery bags.

"Mom, why do we get food from there if half of it is stale anyway?"

My mom sighed, she hated telling me we didn't have the money for things.

"Because we can't afford half of this stuff any other way, Maya."

I sighed in reply and put away some of the food that was still edible.

I heard my phone vibrate a few times and I walked back over to the table, where i had set it down, to check my messages.

Lucas: Did you get home okay?

Riley: Hey Maya! Are you home?

I replied to Riley first because... she's my best friend. Duh.

I told her that, yes I was home, and I'm fine.

Then Lucas.

I rolled my eyes as I typed a response to his message.

"Yes Ranger Rick I got home okay"

Why is he wondering? Isn't his job to worry about Riley, not me? I think he's a bit confused.

I shut my bedroom door as I changed into my pajamas and crawled into bed for the night.

As I tried to fall asleep my mind was full of thoughts and visions of past stuff, stuff I regret, and stuff I wish would happen.

Like, when I was three and my dad and my mom used to argue all the time. Or when I was five and they got divorced.

How about when I was ten and I cut off off a piece of Riley's hair? That was a bad day...

Things I wish would happen? I wish Shawn would propose to my mom already. They seem to get along pretty well...

Well, whatever. I need to get some sleep before I think myself into depression...