Chapter 22 - Not Enough Time

I feel dead inside, I was going to surprise Tyler with a new me, but instead he shows me a side of him. A side with secrets, I hate secrets. I can hear the door slam downstairs and I quickly stumble my way down, surprised. My mother stands at the kitchen bench laying her purse down, wearing new clothes. I place my hand on my hip, disgusted, "Where have you been?" I spit out.

My mother looks at me, a bit startled. Her eyes light up, despite my rude mouth. "I've been with someone special for a while." I take a good look at her and finally see the hollows of her eyes, her skin sagging at her arms. She's lost weight.

"What happened to you?" I whisper, and then I remember, she's been gone for almost 2 weeks. "What the hell have you been doing?!" I almost yell outraged.

Mother looks almost taken aback, "I am your mother missy." She snaps. "I don't have to tell you where I go, only that I am safe. I'm back now; you should be making me welcome." She finalises sullenly.

"Are you fucking serious?" I almost laugh, despite how hollow I feel. "You're acting like a slut mum! You have a new boyfriend every few weeks and you're breaking the law by not upholding my care of safety. You look sick too, so, what. Have. You. Been. Doing?" I annunciate each word carefully so I don't miss a second of her face changing.

She sighs her eyes look broken. I almost feel sorry for her. "It's my job. I got sacked for dating my boss, so I've been looking for new work and I've found a job. It's just... not very respectable." I take a few seconds to let it sink in. Mum looks nervous, she sits down and fiddles.

"You're a prostitute?!" I'm taken aback. Mum puts her hands up to stop me quickly,

"I was. But I've met someone and she's great." She quickly adds, but it only adds more to the fire.

"Mum, you said she. What are you talking about?" Mother's nervousness is heightened.

"I'm... Her name is Louise and she's helping me a lot. We're, together." My hands fall to my sides, totally useless to me.

"But... but you've been with so many men, you had me. Mum, what...?"She starts tearing up and I turn around quickly, not letting the sight of tears ruin my judgement. I take a few deep breaths and turn back around, my eyes hard like a rock.

"I'm gay sweetie." She reaches out to me and I recoil.

"This doesn't change anything." I whisper, staring at the floor. "All it means is that I was more of a mistake then I thought." I look up and meet her eyes, mine glazed over. I'm in a haze, and I'm only just realising that I've always been in one.

"No sweetie. It doesn't mean anything like that, I still love you. I came for a reason today." I prepare myself for more anger, and cross my hands over my chest. "You're about to turn 18 in a few months, and I know we don't get along. I've been seeing Louise for a few months actually, and well, I'm handing my rights over. I'm moving out and you're rights will go to the government." My mouth hits the floor.

"Your disowning me?" I ask accusingly,

"I'm just, trying to give you space. This is the only way how." My mum finalises, and her words break my heart beyond any pain I've ever felt before. Apparently I do have feeling towards her.

"That's the same thing mum." I mumble. She reaches for me again, and this time I make no move to move away, but I also don't try to touch her. "You really are a bitch." I mumble curses at her for a good ten minutes but she still holds me close. This is our final goodbye.

She lifts her head up from my shoulder and takes a deep breath before grabbing her purse and leaving for the door. She turns to me as she opens it and smile, "I'll send you some money into your account." I just nod numbly and watch my mother leave my life for good.