Chapter 19 Part 1 - Love Is... Complicated (Tessa's POV)

What's wrong with me? After I wake up I quickly pull Zac's arms off me and run out the door. I don't look back as I race off in my car, I don't even bother when I see the door open and Zac runs out looking pained. I can't do this, not again. This time it's me, I'm the one using Zac. I can't put him through it. I just can't, I need to get some distance. At least for a little while, we can't do this to each other. I won't put him through the pain he put me through so many times over.

I don't even bother going home, I head straight to Tyler. This mistrust everyone shows has to stop, I already know why they do it, it's because they think I can't take it. That I'm too broken to cope with any more grief, well I've copped too much shit for everyone to know about and so if they think I'm broken now they should have been there when things were really bad. I'm not broken by any means. I'm a survivor, I can do this. I can be shattered and bounce back. I will bounce back, and I'll make things right again. I play with my lip nervously and twist the metal ring around and round on the tedious way to Tyler's house.

Jumping out of my car I head straight to Tyler's door. I keep my ring tucked in and knock, before waiting patiently. All the while my mind is racing with thoughts of what Zac might have done to Tyler in his rage. A dog barks in the distance and I finally take a good look around the neighbourhood. All the houses look grand even though they're small and hardly affordable now. It looks like there are no yards, despite being a rural area. You can tell some of the houses have been here for generations because they are the only ones with a decent size of land and the roses- which happen to be in nearly every yard- have thick stems, that I wouldn't be able to get both of my hands around. I look at my freakishly small hands and pay special attention to my pinkies that are half the size of most people's pinkies. Finally, I look at Tyler's house. Bricks on the outside with black lining everywhere, it's not like everyone else's cement houses and it doesn't stand out but it has elegance to it that only designers can master.

I knock on the door again, this time I hear heavy footsteps before the creaking of the door. I look at Tyler and frown, his black eye is swollen and he doesn't hold himself with confidence as much as he used to; and yet there is still something about him that, makes me want to cry and help him in any way I can. I guess that's my job for today, because by the looks of it, Tyler is alone.

"Hey." I automatically hug him because it seems appropriate. I'm met with Tyler's hard chest and no arms around me. I look up at him puzzled, just to be met with his worrisome gaze. He gives me the look that things need to be said and I quickly turn defensive. "Please don't," I shut him up before he can get a word out, "I'm here to see you because I'm worried about what he did to you." I finalise and Tyler finally moves aside and gives me access to his house.

I walk in on the white tiles and lay my shoes out the door out of politeness. I turn to Tyler and wait for him to take the lead. He gestures to a cream lounge with brown and cream pillows and I walk in before stopping. My toes move over the brown carpet and I suddenly drop to the floor and lie down, the carpet feels better then my bed does! Like a child I pat next to me and Tyler shrugs before lying down and looking at the roof with me. "Where did you find this carpet?" I laugh as I grab Tyler's hand and interlock our fingers.

Tyler stops for a second before settling into my touch. "It comes as an upgrade with the build." I punch his arm lightly, "What?" He scoffs before I laugh with him.

"That's a boring answer!" the world cracks in our quick happiness, Zac is gone, Zac left and now I'm with Tyler. Zac... I go quiet despite just laughing with Tyler.

"What did Zac say?" Tyler interrupts my thoughts abruptly. I break down now, shattering as Tyler holds me closer.

"He- We're done." I stutter as my tears get in the way of my breathing. Tyler doesn't say anything, he's just there. He lays with me in a tangle of limbs, not saying anything. It's awkward but I crave what he's giving me that I don't mind. I crave being held in a way that says 'I'm here for you' without even saying anything, no questions are asked especially. "Tyler," I mumble like a child, he nods. "Thank you." I almost break at my fragile words.