Chapter 4

It's almost four in the morning and I finally get around to going hunting and to get more souls for my private stash for when I'm dangerously low. There's a couple of stones that I can easily move, to keep them stashed away. We aren't really supposed to hoard our food supply, but I don't always eat like I'm supposed to, because I hate the images I get. I don't know if anyone else get the images when they eat souls or not; but it bothers me.

Putting a sword in its sheath on my back, I leave my room. No one is around and that's fine, I won't be gone long anyways. It'll be a quick in and out; no one will know I was gone.

Moving fast I get to the bell tower before the old father clock on the first floor can toll the time. Closing the trapped door under the bell, in the bell tower, I look out to the city below. Everything is quiet, almost eerie. There is a thick fog outstretching bellow around the buildings, a prime showcase that the other night creatures would be out hunting for prey that would be out and about.

Jumping off the bell tower I land down on the ground and start going down the street. The one thing best about Paradise, is that it's so stuck in its old ways of ghost stories that everyone locks up before sunset. So that only leaves those aren't smart out and those that have no shelter.

Almost to the fountain with the horse rearing up on its back legs with a fierce neighing face, that almost looks evil. "Immortal," an eerie voice says from the fog.

I don't move, I listen to all around me and drown out the sloshing water from the fountain. "Yes?" I ask, listening closely. No footsteps sound, no breathing. So, who is it? Vampire? Demon? Or—

"Where is your House?" the eerie voice asks in a whisper.

"Come out of hiding and I'll tell you." A shadow figure appears on top of the horse statue and holds on to its head like its riding it. "Hi Bru, it's been a while." I say looking up and seeing who it is. Course it's sort hard to miss since him since the smell is so bad.

The figure jumps off the statue and lands down in front of me and stands with its back humped over. "Evy, it has been a long time," Bru hisses through his fang teeth and fork tong slithering out between them.

"What do I owe this visit, from the son of Snake Demon King?"

"A party is to be held at the Church, soon isn't there?" shaking my head, he pulls something from his robe and hands an envelope to me. "Father wishes to talk to you after the party, is that okay?"

Putting the envelope in my jacket pocket, I shake my head. "I'll get away as soon as I can. What does he need?"

"You know father, he probably wants to have a checker match again," he tells me with a smile.

Smiling at him, my body freezes up as I see a shadow jump up above Bru. "Get down!" pulling out a dagger I throw it at the shadow figure as Bru gets down. The shadow figure grabs it and throws it back at me. Getting out of the way of the dagger I watch as it melts away in acid. "That's impossible," taking out my sword from my back I don't take my eyes off the shadow figure. "Bru run home," I tell him.

He does as I say and slithers down on a drain off. "You Immortals stand out like a sore thumb," a woman voice says.

"And how do we stick out like a sore thumb?" I ask the woman, glaring up at her.

Cold breath hits the back of my neck, I only move my head a little bit and the woman is behind me all of the sudden. "The way you smell," she slashes at my back, but I move fast enough I block it with my sword, but then it starts to melt away from the acid of her fingernails.

"What are you?" I whisper, with fear in my stomach. Such fear that I have never felt before.

She leans in, to the point I can smell her mint fresh breath. "The future of the night world." Then she is gone, like she was never there.

But I know she was here; she just used her nails to go throw my sword. "What the hell is she?" I whisper, trying to swallow the fear that has taken over my body.

•••

Getting back, I've gotten ahold of myself, but the shaking is still there in my hands. I almost left my blade behind, because the acid slid down the blade and went through my gloves. But I ended up using an ice pack for the soul's cooler, that I should had collected souls with tonight. But after what happened, I couldn't do it and I don't know why. It could be the fear that grew inside of me, that kept me from doing it. Or that even now, I feel as if someone is watching me.

"Evy you up here?!" James yells, as he comes up to the tower, opening the hatch. "There you are!"

Gripping my fists, I try make them to stop shaking. "James, I need you to get me clearance into the dark age archives,"

"Sure, but why?" he asks sitting down next to me.

I take out the cooler and open it, showing him my acid cut blade, as the acid works on destroying it along with the pack. "Because someone just tried to kill me, but they didn't. I want to know, what can move fast and have acid powers."

He takes the cooler and looks it over, then looks back at me. "I know exactly what did this. They are hybrids, their DNA is about everything out there. But sometimes, some gifts pass over, as others don't. We see a lot of people and you remember a lot of faces, did you recognize them?"

Shaking my head, I take the cooler back. "No, but it was like she knew who I was."

The sky starts to change. "We better get in, are you going to be, okay?" James helps me up to my feet.

Shaking my head, we go inside. But as I stand there for the last few seconds, I see the girl again. But as soon as I see her, the sunlight overtakes her form. Shielding my eyes as best as I can, I don't see her anymore, like the sunlight made her vanish.