xii. soulmates

Haven could feel Jacob's heart beating against her ear, their current position in Jacob's bed was how she found herself when she awoke from her slumber.

Last night, she fell asleep on the opposite side of the bed to Jacob, after the two argued for fifteen minutes about the sleeping arrangement with Haven refusing to let the boy sleep on the floor since it was his bed after all, even though Jacob was insisting on letting her take the bed. In the end the two agreed that they would indeed both sleep on the bed but keeping to their own sides.

But apparently their sleeping subconscious did not agree with this decision as Haven was now pressed right up against the boy, her head laying on his chest with her hands gripping his side. Jacob's arm was slung loosely over her shoulders, Haven watched as his breathing was so controlled, she didn't think she had ever seen the boy look so peaceful and calm.

Noting this, Haven realized how much effort that Jacob was putting into protecting this town. She could tell by the blue undertones near his eyes that he wasn't getting much sleep, the threat of a certain red headed vampire lingering to close for comfort. Jacob only found out about his werewolf status not too long ago and now he was thrust into ultimately saving his hometown from a vampire that was intent on being extremely vengeful.

Haven didn't know how he did that and still managed to be one of the happiest people she had ever seen in her life. It was almost as if Jacob radiated light, Haven admired how the boy always seemed to be so positive and gleeful even though the world around him was anything but.

Haven found herself simply staring at him. She focused on his black eyelashes that naturally curled slightly, the tan color of his skin, the content almost smile that was placed on his pink lips and the constant warmth that she felt as she was flushed up against his body so closely.

His eyes remained shut but a grin erupted on his face, "Didn't your parents ever tell you not to stare at people?" His tone was light and playful, Haven didn't know how he could be so chipper in the morning.

Jacob noticed the close proximity that the two had taken but made no sudden movements to change it, he didn't want to move because nothing made him happier than being so close to Haven.

"It's not my fault that you take forever to wake up." Haven accused, she also felt like she should have been slightly worried about how close she was to Jacob but her body was thriving in the warmth of him, she didn't know why but she knew that if anyone of them was to move away then she wouldn't feel as complete as she did in this moment.

These feelings that Haven was getting about Jacob didn't scare her per say, she was merely confused as to why they were happening in the first place, "I have a question that I have to ask you." Haven continued, knowing that she had to ask the boy if he felt the same.

Jacob simply hummed in encouragement for her to go on, his eyes still shut to try and wipe away the traces of exhaustion that still filled him.

Haven didn't really know how to phrase it or how to even start what she wanted to say, she didn't know how to explain in words what she was feeling, "Why are we like this?"

Twisting his head to watch the girl tucked under his arm, he opened his eyes in confusion, "Well, I mean it was probably because I am way to hot to resist so you latched yourself onto me in your sleep."

Haven rolled her eyes and smacked his chest lightly, "No, I don't mean the position we are in now, Jake."

"What do you mean then?"

She tapped her fingers on his torso where her hand lay as she tried to make a sentence in her head that would make sense, "Why do I constantly feel like I need to be around you?"