i. new town

"Are you ever going to quit sulking?"

Haven glanced up at her father to see he was asking her the question that him and her mother had already asked a million times in the past two days. She rose her eyebrows before speaking, "That depends, are we ever going to move out of this town where rain seems to be the only weather conditon?"

Chris Eldridge threw his head back and laughed at his daughter, putting a kiss on the top of her head. "Its quaint, quiet and a nice change of pace. Give it a chance, you'll get used to it."

"If we don't die from exposure first."

Before Chris could dismiss the brunette's constant nagging on the town of Forks, the doorbell cut through their conversation.

It wasn't that Haven hated this town, to be fair she hadn't really even given it a chance yet. The one thing she thoroughly disliked already was the weather and the constant need to wear layers of clothing.

There were two things that annoyed Haven about their sudden move from San Francisco. The first being that her parents had picked the worst year for them to move -- Haven's senior year. In her opinion, senior year was all about having a fun, party-filled year with all of your friends before everyone went their separate ways for college. Now that she was in a town where she didn't know a soul, Haven didn't have anyone to celebrate her last year of high school with considering she left all her friends back home.

The second thing that annoyed her about the move was her mom and dad's lack of communication on the idea. Two weeks before the move occurred was when she got informed that her family was uprooting their lives and still to this day she didn't know why it happened in the first place. Every time she asked for a reason, Haven would either get shrugged off or she got told that it was ''a nice change of pace and scenery."

There had to be another reason that her parents weren't telling her about, the question was how was Haven going to find out their motivations for moving.

Haven followed her father down the stairs to the bottom story which was filled with boxes of unpacked family belongings to get to the doorway. Chris opened the door, with Haven by his side, to see a black haired man in a police uniform and a young brunette girl dressed in a mustard trench coat.

Upon seeing the teenage girl on her doorstep, Haven smiled. This was the first time in the two days she had been here that she had seen another teenager, she was beginning to think they didn't exist here.

"Hi, I'm Charlie Swan and this is my daughter Bella," The man introduced, the brunette beside him held up a hand awkwardly to signal that he meant her, "I'm the chief of police and since you can see by the small population here, it isn't hard to notice a fresh face. Thought it was about time that my daughter and I came to say hello."

"I'm Chris Eldridge, this is my daughter, Haven and my wife, Casey is out running errands," Haven smiled at both of the Swan's but kept her gaze mainly on Bella who seemed to be smiling right back. "Thank you for introducing yourself, it's hard not seeing any familiar faces."

Chris stepped outside of the door to keep conversing with Charlie, the two seemed to keep the conversation going immediately. They seemed very natural with each other already.

Bella moved to the side slightly to let Chris pass her. "Do you want to come inside for a bit? I feel like they are going to be talking for a while."

Bella gave Haven a quick smile before she nodded and followed the brunette into the lounge room. It was barely decorated, considering they had only moved two days ago. Brown boxes were littered on the floor and the walls were stark white with nothing adorning them.