v. natural shot

"This is ridiculous, I think we should just give up." Haven sighed in defeat. She was sprawled out on the floor next to her mother, the pair in the Eldridge household's living room.

"We can do this. Let me read the instructions again." Casey reached for the instructions to the bookshelf that the mother and daughter were trying to assemble.

It was a Saturday afternoon and Haven's mother had insisted on trying to put together the bookcase she recently purchased for their living room. Since her father was away on a medical conference, it was just herself and her mom home for the weekend, and so Haven had felt obliged to go along with the bookshelf building. Haven was happy to help, although she knew that the two were going to struggle with the building task.

"We have already read them five times! I still have no clue what this thing is and where the hell it is supposed to go." Haven gestured towards the conspicuous looking wooden plank that was shorter than the rest in her hand. It really didn't look like it belonged with the other pieces of the bookshelf they were supposed to construct.

Haven's mother flicked through the instruction booklet again. Casey easily ignored her daughter's complaints that she had been saying for the past twenty minutes.

Haven sighed and stood up from her place on the floor. "I am going to get Dad's toolbox from the garage, I have a feeling we may need it."

Casey waved Haven off, her eyes trained on the booklet that was supposed to be helping them yet seemed to make everything more complicated.

Haven made her way down the hall to the garage. She instantly went over to her dad's toolbox that was resting on a desk that he used frequently. Haven never really knew what her father did in here. Chris was cooped up for hours on end and insisted that it was for work—although Haven had no clue as to how it had anything to do with his career in medicine.

Haven nearly picked up the tool box when something caught her eye. The cabinet that was normally locked shut to her left was ajar—something glimmered from behind the doors. If curiosity really did kill the cat, then Haven was dead as she couldn't help but approach the cabinet.

It was a black cabinet that stood taller than Haven. She had never really thought much about what was behind the locked doors but she would never have guessed what lay behind the doors.

Six bows aligned the doors and a massive cardboard box of arrows was placed in the middle of the bottom shelf. On the other shelves was archery equipment—quivers and gloves were the only things that Haven recognized. A few colorful targets were rolled up and leaned against the back of the cabinet.

Haven's face scrunched up in confusion. Neither of her parents had ever expressed a hobby or interest in archery and even if they did it seemed like six bows was a bit obsessive. The arrows that were in the box all had different colored bands on the tip of them, they seemed to be color coordinated for some reason.

Haven slid her hand over the bow closest to her slowly—the sleek metal felt oddly natural to the girl.

She had no clue why, but Haven gained an immediate interest to grab the weapon. Haven was curious as to why they sat in her garage cabinet and the brunette wanted to test them out.

Haven looked to the left of the open cabinet to see that several more lent against the walls of the garage. All of the black pieces of furniture were locked up. 

Haven never really went into the garage and when she did it was only because her car was parked in there. She had never taken notice of the black cabinets backed up against the stark white walls. Curiosity built up inside the girl—if arrows were in that cabinet then what was in the others?