vii. left a mark

"It's exactly the same." Haven's brows knitted in confusion, she looked between the cabinet she had just opened and the one that she had found ajar not too long ago.

Jacob came to stand by her side, his face too going into a look of confusion. The cabinet she opened was almost an exact replica of the other cabinet she knew the contents of. Six arrows were slung on the wall along with a massive box of arrows on the bottom shelf. The arrows, like the other ones, had colored bands on the tip.

"Wait, weren't the other arrows black?" Jacob noted the silver arrows in the box, picking it up in his hand.

When Jacob said this, Haven quickly ran to the other open cabinet and grabbed an arrow from the box, it was in fact black. She stood next to Jacob and compared the two, they were the exact same beside the color of the arrow. The bands were the identical in both of the assortments of arrows, the color of the shaft was the only difference.

"Do you think the other cabinets all have archery equipment?" Haven wondered, she had not expected to find more of it, she thought that the cabinet would contain something different.

Jacob shrugged his shoulders, "I guess we will find out."

Haven began to turn to the next cabinet but stopped in her tracks as she heard the rumble of an engine outside. Fear coursed through her veins, someone was home.

Jacob heard the noise too and he immediately froze. "Shut the cabinets!" He whispered as the front door of the house could be heard opening. He swiftly moved to Haven's BMW that was thankfully parked in the garage, he threw the back door open and slid down so he was lying down on the seats out of view.

Haven turned to both the cabinets and locked them both up, "Haven! Are you home?" Her father's voice rang out from down the hall. Haven looked towards the car and she couldn't see Jacob, she hoped that her dad didn't walk too close to the car.

"Yeah, I'm in the garage." She said, knowing that her father would have found her in there anyway. The house really wasn't that big.

Her father walked into the garage with a look of question on his face, "What are you doing in here? Are you going somewhere?"

Haven's brain clicked with an idea, thank god her dad mentioned travel. "Yes!" She said eagerly, lying wasn't Haven's strong point, "I promised that I would help Bella with her history, you know how challenging the American Revolution can be."

Her father rose his eyebrows at his daughter's rambling, but chose to ignore how weird she was acting, "Okay, be back before ten." He simply said, turning to exit the garage door.

She nodded her head and let out a sigh of relief when the door closed shut behind him. Without even thinking, she climbed into the drivers seat of her maroon vehicle and backed out of the garage.

She had barely made it on the street when a head popped up from the backseat, "I thought you said no one was going to be home!" He exclaimed, twisting his neck from when it was strained in the uncomfortable position he was forced into to avoid being seen.

"We all make mistakes, Jacob. Just thank the heavens that I am such a great liar."

Jacob rolled his eyes at the girl as they drove back to his house, that close call was enough for today.

---

It had become the normal for Haven and Bella to sit at the lunch table the Cullen's used to occupy everyday, it was something that Bella seemed to find comfort in and Haven was completely okay with joining her.