viii. no damsel in distress

Silence could be taken in two ways.

On one hand, it was good. It can be quaint, peaceful and relaxing. Silence can help you think and make your thoughts became clear.

But, silence can also be bad. It can be airy, making you feel like something bad was going to happen.

Unfortunately for Haven Eldridge, the silence that was filling her house when she walked in the front door was the second option.

Not a sound could be heard, a flicker of fear ran through Haven, not knowing what was going to happen next.

"Come to the living room, Haven." The familiar voice of her mother called out, not sounding at all alarmed with the airy feeling in the room.

Haven took cautious steps and followed her mom's instructions. Resting on the dining table was an array of weapons, lined up in rows. Haven found herself gasping, not knowing what the hell they were doing there and what their purpose was. Among them, she spotted the sleek black bow that she had used out in the forest not that long ago.

Her parents were standing on opposite sides of the table, staring at her to gauge her initial reaction.

Haven didn't know how to feel. She had no idea what her parents were trying to tell her, she could assume that these were the emptied contents of the other three cabinets she had not looked into yet.

"We have something to talk about," Her dad started off, picking the dark, familiar bow up from beside him holding it easily in one of his hands, "We know you found this and it's okay. We left it unlocked for a reason."

Brows knitting together, Haven realized that Jacob was right when he presumed that her parents wanted her to find the archery equipment in the garage that day. "What do you mean?"

"There are things you don't know about, Haven. The world isn't as simple as it seems."

Haven frowned at her mother's words, "Like people hoarding massive amounts of artillery? Why do you have all this stuff?" Her eyes roamed the table to spot knives, crossbows and many other weapons that she did not even know the names of.

"To defend ourselves, to defend the people around us," Her dad spoke up, "To hunt."

"When would you ever need this much weaponry? This is ridiculous." Haven immediately expelled any of the cryptic information her parents were trying to feed her, it went straight over her head.

"Hunting the supernatural is no joke, Haven. We wouldn't stand a chance if we didn't have all of this."

Haven's head snapped up at the mention of the supernatural, "You're kidding me, right? Supernatural, really funny." She went to walk away from her parents, sick of whatever they were trying to pull with her.

A hand grabbed her wrist, the calming touch of her mother on her skin. "Please listen. This is something you need to know."

She could see the desperation in her mom's voice, it was obvious that Haven listening was important to her. Casey Eldridge needed her daughter to hear them out, she needed to know that her daughter could protect herself from the nightmare like creatures that lurked in the town, including one that she knew Haven had become quite fond of.

Haven nodded her head, egging her father to continue on with what he was trying to explain, "Vampires and werewolves."

It took everything in Haven not to laugh, the fact her father was trying to tell her that creatures from novels were actually real seemed so humorous to her. If it wasn't for the serious look on his face and the pressing tone he used, Haven definitely would have called him out on lying.