Chapter 40

"Good news hun. We can start you on more soft foods today and take you IV out if it goes well." The nurse said cheerily as she messed with your IV bag. "Nice." You said tiredly. Matthew was at work today since you had requested he keep Arthur company, so the TV and your phone were your only company. Arthur wouldn't stop texting to check up on you. As if on cue, the device buzzed as the nurse left the room. 

Arthur: Is everything okay??

You: Yes.

  You sighed and turned on the TV. The only thing on Cartoon Network was Teen Titans Go!, so you sighed and began flipping through the channels to find anything that wouldn't make your eyes bleed. Your eyes caught Say Yes To The Dress among the channels and you selected it. The nurse returned with a small plate of mashed potatoes as the jingle for the show played. "Oh, I love this show." The nurse smiled as she left. "Thank you." You called quietly after her before taking a bite of the potatoes. They were bland. You continued to eat them for the sole purpose of having something to shove in your face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Matthew yawned as he stepped out of the elevator onto his floor. "Hey Arthur." He said as he walked by his brother. Arthur sat up straight and abruptly turned around. "What are you doing here??" He asked, "Where's (y/n)?"

 Matthew sighed. "She asked that I should go to work to keep you company. It's the most coherent thing she's said since a few days ago so I figured I should. She said she'd be fine." He smiled slightly. Arthur sighed, trying to hid his annoyance. "She's in a hospital surrounded by doctors and nurses, Arthur. She'll be okay." Matthew said, putting a hand on his brother's shoulder. "Anyway, today's Friday. You can spend all day with her tomorrow."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arthur: How is it going?

You: There is a wedding show where people pick dresses they think are good but the waistline is wrONG

Arthur: So everything is okay?

You: Yeah. A nurse has given me potatoes

 Arthur smiled to himself as he looked at his phone. "Hey Ig, I meant to ask, how's (Y/n)?" Alfred asked, spinning his office chair in circles until he faced the Brit. "She just texted me. All she said was a nurse gave her potatoes and that the people buying wedding dresses on TV do not have good taste." Arthur smirked. "She seems to be doing okay." Arthur laughed. "Yeah. Matt's at work today because he said she asked him to go, which means she's talking more. Are you going to visit after work?" Arthur asked. "I can't, man. Boss is making me stay late." Alfred pouted.

 As they were talking, a wild Italian approached their desks. "Ay, tea lover." He stated. "Oh, hey Romano." Arthur said cautiously. Romano usually ignored everyone. 

  "Tomato lover is out sick today, and he asked me to ask you about (y/n). Who is she and why does he care?" Romano asked annoyedly. "Oh! She's my daughter, and she's in the hospital." Arthur replied. "Why?" Romano asked with what could be angry concern. "Her appendix burst and she doesn't eat enough." the Brit responded, "You can tell Toni she's talking a lot more today and is doing fine."