Chapter 39

Arthur ran his hands through his hair and sighed. He couldn't focus on his work no matter how hard he tried. "You okay, Arthur?" Francis asked as he walked by. "Yeah. Fine." the Brit mumbled. Francis stopped and put a hand on Arthur's shoulder. "That's your lying face." He smirked. "I don't have a face." Arthur frowned. "Tell me what's wrong." Francis commanded, taking a seat at the empty desk across from Arthur's.

 "No."

"I'm not leaving until you do." Francis pouted. "Is it about (Y/n)?"

"....Yes."

  "I heard (y/n). Is she okay?" Toni asked, walking to stand next to Francis. Arthur looked down to his desk. "No." He muttered. Toni and Francis gasped. "What happened!?" Toni insisted, smacking his hands on the table. Arthur looked up at them and sighed. "It's fine. She'll be fine." He mumbled. "Please tell us." Francis said gently, "We care about (Y/n) too."

  With another sigh, Arthur realized refusing to tell them would be useless. "While Alfred and Matthew were there yesterday, a friend of her mom's came to visit, locked Matt and Alfred out of the room, and attacked (y/n). I got there right as she was arrested..." He said quietly. Francis and Toni gasped loudly. "Oh my god..." Francis whispered, "Is she okay?"

  "She has cuts on her face and isn't saying much anymore." Arthur replied sadly. "The lady, (y/n) said her name was Catherine, ripped out her IV and pulled her hair. From what (y/n) has said she said some pretty awful stuff too."

  "Would it be okay if we visited after work?" Toni asked. "Okay. (y/n) seems to like you guys. I really just want to try to get more of what Catherine said out of her." Arthur said. "If it's okay to ask, what did this Catherine say?" Francis questioned. "Uh, I wouldn't tell (y/n) you know, but she told me Catherine said her biological father is dead. And that it is supposedly (y/n)'s fault..." Arthur said with a frown. Francis put a hand over his mouth. "Poor thing..." Toni said quietly. "Matt said (y/n) fought back too, though. She screamed at her and called her names, and Alfred claims he saw her slap Catherine when he looked through the door window." Arthur sighed. "That's pretty cool." Toni smiled weakly. "Oh, I was wondering," Francis began, "If she just had her appendix burst, why has she been at the hospital for so long and on an IV?"

  "The doctor pulled me aside after she had surgery and said she's even more underweight than last time she was at the hospital, when her mother hit her with that frying pan."  Arthur sighed. "Ah." Francis said sadly. "Yeah... The IV is making sure she still gets nutrients and stuff even if she doesn't eat." Arthur said as his phone buzzed. 

Matthew: (y/n) has revealed that the Ice king, the antagonist on Adventure Time, writes fanfiction of the main protagonists. That's all i've gotten so far.

  Arthur laughed to himself. "What's so funny" Toni asked. "Matt said all he's gotten out of (y/n) so far is that the antagonist from Adventure Time writes fanfiction." Arthur said with a small smile. Toni and Francis giggled. "Isn't that that show on Cartoon network with the kid with that hat and dog?" Toni asked. "Yeah, (y/n)'s really into it." Arthur smiled. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  You ate another Jello cup as you watched TV with Uncle Matt. "Is the Jello good?" Matthew asked. "Nah." You mumbled as you continued to eat it. "Why are you eating it then?" He asked, confused. "Because I can." You replied. Matthew nodded with a smile and pulled out his phone.