Chapter 24

Chapter - 24

Location - Hospital - ICCU - 3 PM

Its been an hour - but none of the two dared to move away from each other - she with the fear of him getting disappeared was clinging onto him and he was holding her close - in his warmth thinking of some way to console her disturbed senses; neither of them talking - just drinking each other's presence. Their moment was interrupted by the sudden push of the ICCU door by the nurse who had come to change Manik's dressing - but the abrupt feeble screech of the door startled Nandini and she jerked herself away from him taking his name; sweating and panting heavily. Manik immediately cupped her face and said, looking deep into her eyes as if speaking to her soul Baby Relax! Main yahin hoon! I am fine - See! She scanned him from head to toe and heaved a sigh - realizing it was just the sound of door getting opened. MaNan then shifted their gaze towards the nurse, who said while towing the dressing tray towards the bed I need to change his bandages. Nandini came near her and replied, taking the tray from her Aap jaiyye - I will do the dressing. Since she was a Doctor - that too of the same hospital - the Nurse left handing the needful things to her - complying to her order. At first - Manik din't like the idea of Nandini treating him as he knew the wounds would hurt her all the more but then he thought it was high time for Nandini to get out of the dread and face the truth - see his bruises and get busy in curing them instead of drowning more in the terror of what could have happened.

She sat near him and removed his shirt after unbuttoning it with quivering hands; she had sewed up a lot of injuries and had also cut skins and hearts without any hesitation but this time - she was trembling because the one she was treating was not any random person but her Love on whom she couldn't bear even a slightest scratch. Mustering all the courage she had left with after the incident; she unwrapped the bandages and he could clearly see how much she was horrified. Tears brimmed in her eyes and began flowing uncontrollably on seeing the gut - wrenching lacerations on his handsome body - she was feeling his pain; was living it just by the sight of them - by thinking how much they might be aching him. She dropped the cotton ball that was soaked in dettol - not willing an ounce to make him endure the sting that the chemical would cause and bowed her head down in front of him - weeping covering her face with her hands. Manik too was teary seeing her crying but he blinked them away as it was time to talk and not shed tears - he thought. He softly caressed her hair and said, loud enough to fall into her ear as a whisper Nandini Look at me. She shook her head in a no in the same position and knowing she won't, he slowly removed her hands from her face and said, lifting it by cupping her chin Apni aankhein Kholo Nandini. Mere liye. He had brought it on his name - which made it impossible for her to resist and she opened her eyes at a snail's pace. Manik kissed away her tears and started explaining, calmly, locking her eyes with his Nandini! This is not you. In these 6 years - I had made my Nandini a strong girl. Papa's tigress. This weakness is not my Nandini's trait. You are strong Nandini. This time finally she replied amidst tears, looking into his eyes I am not strong Manik. Not when it comes to you. No one has any idea how important you are to me Manik. You made me your star - I had promised you to always protect you, but I couldn't - I failed Manik. Usne tumhe mere saamne shoot kiya - do baar and I couldn't do anything. I couldn't save you. She paused and continued, tenderly skimming her fingers on his stitches Kitna khoon behraha tha tumhara - Poison had spread in your body. Tumhe kitna dard horaha hoga and its all my fault. I couldn't safeguard you. Tumhe kuch hojata toh main kya karti Manik? I would have become an orphan again. I wish yeh bullets mujhe lagi hoti - I wish main tumhari jaga .. She was shushed by Manik - who kept his finger on her lips. He was carefully listening to every word of hers - letting her pour her heart out to him - but he couldn't - not even at the cost of his life or this entire world's price - let her make a wish - which would give her pain. He pulled her closer holding her shoulders and stated sternly This is the first and last time you have said this Nandini. You have right to be at my place only when there is happiness. His eyes again turned sensitive and he asked, spooning his palm on Nandini's cheek Kya tumhe sacchi me lagta hai ke in do bullets mein ya in zakhmon me itni strength hai ke woh mujhe tumse door kardenge? His words had managed to strike the right chords and she instantly gestured a No - seeing which he smiled and continued Toh phir why are you so afraid Nandini? You know why nothing happened to me? Because only my body is hurt - not my soul and heart - which are with you. I don't say simply that my life resides in you Nandini; I mean it and it actually does. My Love and Promises are not weak; they are equally true as is the existence of your Aiyappa. Nothing and No one in this universe can tear us apart. I Love You too much to leave you alone in this cruel world. And I am sure, we would breathe our last together; in each other's arms because your Aiyappa knows that our souls are tied in a cemented bond - he cannot pull out one leaving the other. And about you being my star - You are and will always be. You are not the one to give me this pain but the one who had brought me back to life. I got up because I knew you were waiting for me. You have changed me but you have somewhat become like me - taking all the blame on your head even when you are not at fault. Don't do this Baby. Your pale skin, the disappearance my beautiful smile and your numbness is million times more hurtful that these wounds. Please don't torture yourself. Heal me with your love and smile. Papa needs you. I Love You so much! This consolation by him was the medicine to her suffering. She was healed; re - born and enlivened with his words - assured that he was, is and will always be with her and she was wrong at doubting his promises and letting her faith in their Love quake. All she did was, mopped his tears and fused her lips with his, kissing him ardently - while crying herself and he responded with equal love - and the kiss spoke volumes to him about the her longing. She broke the kiss - knowing his body can't afford getting breathless and said, joining their foreheads and holding his hand tightly between her palms I Love You So Much Manik. I Love you. He smiled the brightest; on finally hearing what he wanted to from so long but he was also aware of the fact that this was just the beginning of her recovery; though he was glad she had opened up - he knew it would take time for her to get back to normal and he was more than ready to give her.