Chapter Fifteen.

That night, after taking bath, Zayd gave me his lousy shirt and his mom's leggings. That was a very rare and weird combination, I know. But ugh, I had to manage tonight.

When we got seated on the breakfast counter, we saw hot sizzling corn soup and steak with it.

We both looked at each other; having a look of hunger and greed and then grinned together.
Then we attacked the meal in front of us. It was delicious.

Whilst we were eating, my phone buzzed.
It was mom.

"Hey mum." I greeted her sipping the hot soup from the spoon.

"Is he okay now?" She asked.

Haha! She only let me leave home so late at night because it was Zayd's matter... and also because I was a big girl now.

Yeah who are you kidding?

"Yeah mum, in fact he's back to his 'I-am-a-hungry-wolf' mode. He is eating like that again." I chuckled while saying and looked at him.
He was glaring at me while still not stopping his mouth from eating and hand from feeding.

Mum laughed and said: "I'm glad. I talked to Juliet right now," her tone turned into a little serious one.

And it was a sensitive topic, we knew.

"Oh. So?" I kept it short and concentrated in eating so that I don't have to look at him while conversing on this topic.

"She said Zayd never picks up her phone calls." Her voice seemed upset. "I am a mom too and I understand how she must be feeling. Zayden should talk to her once at least."

"Yes mom, I'll talk to him." I muttered looking away.

"I'm sure you will." She said in a demanding tone.

"Yeah bye!" I quickly hung up.

"What was she talking about?" Zayd's voice made me jump.

"Um...nothing, just stuff." I shook my head.

Zayd didn't push the topic further. He must have sensed what it was about. I'll have to talk to him about it. It's too much.
I totally understand Mrs Parker's situation. Zayd's dad demanded her wife with him there. That's why they lived away across the country where there business was.
They asked Zayd to shift there as well and start High school there. But he threw a tantrum, okay more like I threw a tantrum at him and begged him to not leave and off course, he too didn't want to go.
So we both refused them.

They were upset but understood.
He should too.

As soon as we finished our food, we went back to his room. We were damn tired. That food fight and then the alluring bath and then delicious food. It quickly made our system lazy and sleepy.
So we both laid on the bed and sighed. He even groaned.

"Let's sleep now, babe." He said; his tone mocking.

"Don't babe me, Zayden freakin Parker!" I snap back at him.

He chuckled lightly.

"You wouldn't ever like me, would you?" He asked suddenly.

My mind went blank. Did he just ask that?

"Um...Zayd you are my best friend...how can I.." I ran out of words while speaking this.

I looked at him. He was staring at the ceiling above us, a sad smile forming on his lips.

"I get that." He softly exclaimed.

I looked back to the ceiling.

For some time, we stayed silent.