Chapter 3

Chapter 3

‘Some are born great, some achieve greatness and others have greatness thrust upon them.’

Shakespeare

 “No!” she yelled. Her eyes swelled up with tears and her chest was heaving up and down. But no way on earth, would he ever make her cry.

He wasn’t listening. He brought the dagger down at her.

Sinny screamed a scream that pierced the air, bursting the ear drums of anyone nearby.

---------------------------------------------------

She wiped the perspiration from her face. She was alive though, and now awake.

“Thank god it was only a nightmare.” She panted. “That was the freakiest thing I have ever dreamed.” That couldn’t have been Javint, could it? She’d never seen him before in her life. Where did her brain think up all this? All she knew was, that that had scared the crap out of her.

She rolled over in bed, still panting and trying to recover from shock. Couldn’t I just have a good sleep for once? She thought.

For some reason pinching hadn’t worked that time…

She listened for sounds. People were talking. No surprise there, it was around lunchtime. Her tummy ached and she suddenly realised how hungry she was. “Better get up.” She sighed, pulling herself out of bed.

“What’s cookin’, good lookin’?” Sinny smiled as she strolled out to the campfire, even though she knew the answer.

“Damper.” Pinnferr said, laughing a little. “Why are you up so late?”

Sinny shrugged and walked into the dining tent. It was more a kitchen tent, really. She reached for the flour, pulling a face – she still hadn’t adapted to her new ‘diet’.

Once again she was reminded of her parents and how they had- She cut the memory off before it could go any further. The smell, the feel, the taste, everything about flour, made her want to vomit.

She poured the white powder into a bowl, a cloud rising above it. Coughing, she reached for the salt. One pinch. Next, she needed water. They didn’t have milk because it would’ve gone off in a matter of days. So, they had water – h2o, a liquid, a gas, a solid, di hydrogen monoxide – it came up in many books with different names.

Sinny was craving a book, badly. She needed one desperately. She longed to feel the fragile pages between her fingers and the sentences on her tongue. Before this ‘mess’ happened, books were her oxygen. She breathed them, flipping the pages night and day.

Actually, maybe this war wasn’t such a bad thing. Forget the mass deaths, invasions, bombing, guiltless killers, depression, flour and lack of books, she had made some pretty damn good friends:

Alexia – kind, helpful and wise.

Kallee – optimistic, nice and mature.

Gnit – kind, intelligent and not afraid of anything.

Pinnferr, well they had been friends since highschool – nice, hilarious and reliable.

Ackiar – sweet, strong, kind, funny, handsome, the list could go on.

This was definitely an experience she wouldn’t forget and she would come out of it with some amazing friends. Hopefully alive.

“Woah, almost forgot the sugar!” she said, just about to pour in the water. She grabbed some sugar and then poured the liquid in, mixing it until it was a thick paste. She picked up one of the sticks in a pile to her left and she scooped the mixture out and into a ball-shape. It stuck to her fingers as she rolled it around but she managed to mould it onto the end of the stick.