Lucy Clock

The date of the seventeenth came swiftly, my birthday. I sat at breakfast, eating a burnt piece of bacon. Lily was sitting across from me waiting for mail from her parents to find out about plans for Christmas break. Potter and Black walk in, receiving stares from girls from every house. I hear the squawk of birds and a cloud of owls pile in the hall, delivering messages. I see my fat barn owl swoop in, carrying different packages and two letters. One is bright red.

It is dropped in front of me and I pick up the red one.

"Hm. Wonder what this is.." I think out loud.

Lily Replies " That's a howler, that is."

I curse,

"No. No. No."

I run past Black and Potter and make my way to the exist.

It's too late, the letter bursts into song.

The out of tune singing of my parents..

"Happy Birthday to Youuuu.

Happy Birthday to Youuuu.

Happy Birthday dear Lucyyyyyyyy,

Happy Birthday to Youuuu.

Hey Hon. Happy Birthday! We can't wait to see you! Love you Mum and Dad!"

I cringe and the letter rips up.

I turn back to the table, feeling the hot, red blush on my cheeks.

I walk back to my seat to find an annoyed Molly, an angry Alice and a furious Lily.

I am bombarded by shouts.

"Why didn't you tell us??"

"I would have gotten you something."

"Honestly, birthdays aren't a big thing in my family.. It's fine" I smile.

I take the other letter and open it, just the usual.

A homemade birthday card, noted from cousins and aunties and the family. I look at the two packages. I tear the small one open and take out some tiny, ginger biscuits made by my mum. I give Lily, Molly and Alice one to try, and eat one myself. Potter and black plonk themselves down beside me

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUCY!!" They scream!

"Ooh, biscuits!" Black exclaims and snatches one,, "these are very good"

I slap his hand and open the bigger box.

There and three things inside,

One: a small, wooden mocking bird in fight my dad must have made..

Two: A handmade bracelet with wooden charms of the things I love.

Three: a large quilt made of the t-shirts my mum and I collected over the trips we used to go on.

Tears building my eyes. They spend so much time on these presents, I love them.

I fasten the bracelet on, looking at the charms. I pop another biscuit in my mouth and write a reply to my parents.

'Mum, dad, family,

Thank you so much for the presents. I'm sorry not for writing. I've been busy with classes.

Do you mind if a few friends come to the party you throw for New Years?? Can Lily stay a while? Maybe Moll and Alice too??

Merry Christmas, see you in two days!!

I love you.

Lucy, xx'

I finish and take out a camera from my bag. I ask a first year Gryffindor to take a picture for me. I get lily to grab Sev.

Lily, Sev, Molly, Alice and Potter, Black, Remus and Peter all get in the picture. I squeeze in the middle, between lily and Potter, the camera snaps and we all laugh.

I get the photo and charm it to stick to the letter. I send my owl away with it and gather my things. Today is a Sunday, no classes except for Astronomy at midnight. Tomorrow is the dance so after classes we will be getting ready.. And the next day is when we leave.

Honestly, I have been looking forward to going home. I ran out of my muggle fiction, so I need to bring more. I wander back up to the common room with Lily and lay on my bed. My homework is all done, even the stuff for after the holidays and I've packed everything except the things I need. I change into pj shorts and a tshirt and grab a book. I sit cross legged on a armchair in the common room. The crackling fire is a peaceful rhythm and I get a good few chapter read.

***

I sit upright. I have a sharp pain running up through my neck. I must've fallen asleep. I check the clock on the wall, great.. I slept through dinner. My stomach growls loud. I throw on my robes over my pjs and head down to the kitchens.

I skip down the hall but stop in my tracks,

Justin, is being held up on the wall by a familiar face. Someone with black hair but blue eyes..

Regulus.