Not so Easy of a Request

Magsimula sa umpisa

            “Say Keith, I went crazy, didn’t I?” Laverne said after calming down a bit.

            Keith couldn’t answer at first. He didn’t want to make Laverne even sadder. “Yes.” Keith said in a sad tone.

            “It’s just that when I saw Evan kissed Cara, something in me snapped. I can’t just let things end without a fight. I knew that he’s been cheating on me, but still I wanted to hold on, I didn’t want to lose him. I just couldn’t let them go that easily. I was thinking; why should I be the only to go crazy? I came here to fight for Evan, but, it looks like I already lost him.” Laverne said looking at Keith.

            “It’s not a fight for love, if you’re the only one fighting for it. Before you fight, you must know first where Evan stands.” Keith said as he sat down on the edge of the bed. “Instead of fighting for Evan, why don’t you fight for yourself instead?”

            “Fight for myself, huh…” Laverne looked so depressed. Seeing Laverne like that was really depressing for Keith.

            Keith moved closer to Laverne and then placed his palm, barely, on Laverne’s cheek. He was very careful not to pass through Laverne’s body. Laverne was startled and his eyes widened in surprise. “How does that feel?” Keith asked gently.

            “Cold…” Laverne replied.

            “Exactly. You could feel many things because you are alive. You feel the coldness because you are still living. And as long as you live, you should fight your own happiness.” Keith said with a smile. “What would make you happier, to be chained with a selfish man, or to be free to find new love?”

            Laverne smiled and then tears started falling from his eyes. Slowly, Laverne moved his hand and placed it just on top of Keith’s hand on his cheek. “I wish I could hold you right now.” He said before finally falling to sleep.

            There was a faint smile on Laverne’s face as he slept. He looked so peaceful and pure that way, Keith thought. He wondered what made Laverne into such feisty young man. He thought that it would be nice if Laverne was always that peaceful. He didn’t want Laverne to get hurt anymore.

But, as he watched Laverne sleep, something inside of Keith was starting to change. He didn’t know what came to him, but he moved closer to Laverne and then slowly he leaned closer. And, when he realized it, his lips were already on top of Laverne’s lips.

He was shocked by what he was doing himself as well. He moved away with his hands on his mouth and with his eyes widened. That doesn’t count as a kiss, does it? I mean, I’m a ghost, our lips couldn’t even touch, we couldn’t even feel each other’s touch, my lips would only pass through his… Keith was totally panicking.

The morning came and Laverne woke up all groggy. “This is worst than having a hangover…” He complained. Keith couldn’t look at Laverne at all, he felt really guilty for what he did. “After having good night sleep, I just realized how overboard I went last night. Why did I even come up with such crazy plan…?” Laverne sat up and buried his face on his palms and then shook his head. “Hey, are you alright? You look somewhat sick. Wait. Do ghosts even get sick?” Laverne asked, looking at him.

Keith was feeling really bad and guilty that time. Even after a whole night of thinking, he still couldn’t understand himself. Why did he even steal a kiss from Laverne? “I’m alright.” Keith said nervously. “What about you, are you alright?”

            “I honestly don’t know. I have no idea what’s going to happen from now on, I don’t know what to do next, but one thing’s for sure, I don’t want to be with Evan anymore.” Laverne then chuckled sadly. “It’s too tiring. Being with someone who couldn’t even stand by your relationship, being played for a fool, it’s all too tiring for me.”