Chapter 38

Dipper's POV

I sat on the bus soundlessly. I refused to talk to Mabel no matter how many questions and games she could come up with. I just stared out the window and it brought back memories of me and Mabel almost leaving Gravity Falls that one time. Except, this time it was real. I took off my hat and inspected the blue pinetree symbol on top.

I never did find out why Bill called me pinetree, and it surely wasn't because of my hat. Right? I put it back on and rested my chin in my hand.

"Hey Dip, wanna play I-Spy?" Mabel asked.

I was silent for a moment before I answered. "No."

"Aw, come on Dip, we did it on the way here!" Mabel persisted stubbornly.

"I don't care..." I made sure I couldn't see her.

"Then do you want to play tick-tack-toe on the bus seats?" She scooted closer, but I shoved her away.

"I said no!" I yelled at her angrily.

Mabel looked up at me sadly and I averted my gaze from hers. 

"I'm not in the mood..." I added.

"Are you going to be ok?" She sat up.

I sighed and looked back at her in the eyes. Her gaze was concerned and expectant. "I-I don't...no." I looked back at the window. "No. I don't think so." I fogged up the window with my breath and wrote a single word into it. The last word she had said to me. Forever.

Bree's POV

I had gotten into such a habit of going into the Mystery Shack that I began walking back to it. A hand suddenly gripped onto my arm. I whipped around and saw Carson grabbing it.

"We don't go here anymore...remember?"

I met his green gaze. "Oh...oh yeah." I felt a painful ache wash over me. "Yeah..."

Carson let go of my arm and lead me away from the shack. We passed one of the windows and I saw Stan sitting in the kitchen. He was holding a frame. The frame held a picture of Mabel and Dipper together. His gaze was sorrowfull as he rubbed his thumb across the glass thoughtfully. I couldn't bear it so I took off running.

"Bree! Wait!" 

I ignored his calls as I ran deep into the forest. I weaved through the trees and leapt over logs and streams till I reached a clearing. I dropped to my knees as I stared at the sky. Why did I have to break their hearts. I waded up the ends of the sweater in my hands, only to realize this was Mabel's outfit that she had given to me.

I immediately let go of it in shock as I looked myself over. How could I have done what I just did? I fought back the tears and closed my eyes as I tried to picture Dipper happy. But it wasn't working. I kept seeing his enraged, horrified and sorrowful face as I told him the truth. I kept seeing Mabel and how she was furious that I had hurt her brother so badly.  Maybe I had been a monster all along...

"Bree!" Carson ran up to me. He crouched down beside me and put a hand reassuringly on my shoulder. "Don't beat yourself up over this."

I wiped a trailing tear away. "But-but...I broke their hearts."  I whispered.

"It wasn't their choice what you wanted to do. You made a decision and they should have excepted it." He explained rationally.

I got up and hugged him tightly. "They were so mad." I whimpered.

"They'll get over it." Carson insisted.

I shook my head. "I hope so..." But on the inside I knew they wouldn't.

If they ever saw me again, they wouldn't remember me as a friend, they would see a demon, a betrayer...a heart breaker.