Chapter 28

Carson's POV

I took Bree off to a clearing in the forest. She was so different from when I had last seen her, smiling manically as she took my hand and we jumped literally into oblivion. I had been knocked out and I could still hear though. I could hear her panicking, and then she ran off. She had seemed so demonic, and then she suddenly set me free. I had never seen a Dream Demon do that. She was special to me, she saved my life.

Now, I had her alone in the forest to train her... But I wasn't going to. Not tonight at least. I needed to talk to her. I told her to sit down on the ground and she did so with a slightly confused look. I sat down in front of her. She was the only person I knew, the only person I understood. When I looked into her eyes that were shrouded by magic I could see through it and see her, not this human figure. I could see her and her curiosity about humans and her insaneness. That was Bree, the Bree I knew from long ago.

She was the only person I could sit down and talk to without seeming like I was dead inside, I could tell Dipper didn't like me. I could tell he thought I was dreary. I just knew. I put on my best smile that I could muster up. I wasn't used to smiling.

"Bree...I just need to talk to you tonight." I told her up front.

"Ok."

"Not about training."

Bree stiffened. "What? Why not...you said-"

"I know what I said, but...I just need to talk." I said slowly.

Bree nodded uncomfortably. "Ok."

"Bree, I need you to listen. That day you rescued me from the Dream Scape...I had never seen any demon do that. You were different. You ignored Bill's rules and boundaries. You did this for me and you. You wanted to escape and you didn't care if I would be set free, but...I know it wasn't exactly for me to be free. I know you were doing it for yourself so you could escape the Dream Scape. But...when you thought I was dead I heard you panic and you ran away in fear of me being dead. I know. I didn't know Dream Demons could-could feel that way."

Bree looked shell shocked. "I-I...I guess." She stammered.

"That's why I had to find you. And look at you now, you're human and you can feel pain and love and sorrow. Like a human. Jace, he wasn't human, he never could be, but his insanity drove him to kill. You were the only one capable of changing. Why do you think he could only be killed by Demon fire? You have a soul." I reach into my jacket and pulled out a mirror and pointed it in her direction. Her gaze widened slightly and I knew she was seeing her reflection in full resolution.

"Jace wanted you, because you were human with blood, but with the agelessness of a Dream Demon. You would never die. And he knew that. He was jealous of you Bree." I told her.

"Carson, I don't know why you're telling me this..." She said quietly.

"I want you to know that you're special and that you know I know you're special." I said.

Bree blushed a little. "Oh."

"Bree. I want you to stay with me so you'll be safe." I finally said.

"Carson, I can't...I have to be with Dipper and Mabel...they are like my family, kind of." She explained. "I'm glad you care for me and my safety, but...I'm sorry." Her voice was broken.

"Bree, I can't let you disappear again. You did the biggest favor I had ever received. As soon as I had woken up I began tracking you and after what was about three months, you suddenly vanished, because Bill put up the shield. He had found you. I was so angry and I had to just sit and wait...then you escaped weeks later. Bree, I spent every second of my life after that searching for you!" I didn't realize how emotional my voice had gotten.

Bree's eyes were shining with tears. "Really?"

"Yes..."

Bree smiled a sad smile. "Carson...I didn't know that..."

"So you'll stay?" I said hopefully.

Her expression darkened. "I-I'm sorry...I can't-" She broke off and stood up. She turned to run, but I grabbed her wrist.

"Bree. Wait. Maybe I could come with you?" I suggested blindly.

"Come with?" She echoed as a tear streamed down her face.

"Yes, to California, and I'll hide in a new place." I pressed.

"Carson, I don't know-"

"Please." I begged.

Bree shook her head. "I-I don't know." She yanked her wrist free and ran off towards home. I dropped my hand to my side and watched her run, away from me, away from my everything.

I had never felt so broken.

GAH! I wuv Carson <3