Chapter 21

Bree's POV

We still sat down at the lake as I rejoiced. I get to stay forever with Dipper and Mabel!!! I smiled and hugged them both. "Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!"

Dipper had a huge grin on his face, though there was another look in his eye, almost doubtful. I bet he was happy I could be with him forever, I mean, after reading those notes... I began blushing as I thought of what he said about me and how jealous he was over Jace.

Jace...

I swallowed. He was still out there...alive...with my blood in him. I shuddered. Gross.

"What is it?" Dipper asked.

"Um...nothing...just worrying about Jace...again." I sighed as Mabel pulled away from the hug.

"Remember, you don't need to worry! When this summer is over and you come to California, you'll get to go to school and learn! You'll live just like a human!" Mabel exclaimed.

I smiled and pushed thoughts of Jace away. I still couldn't believe he was a Dream Demon...just like me. I shook my head. Stop! Stop thinking about him! I gave a smile. "Well, I'm sure excited to-to meet your parents and...and have a family..." I sighed at the happy thought.

Dipper cleared his throat. "If you don't mind my asking...weren't you and Bill kind of a family?"

I tensed up. Don't worry, he's just curious. "Um...no. Bill couldn't love or care or have actual feelings like a normal family. He only wanted me, because I was owned by him and he loves to have slaves..." I choked up as I suddenly flashed back at my brief life in the mindscape.

"What is it?" Dipper asked. "What's wrong?"

I licked my lips. "T-the mindscape...I was just remembering it...it's so horrible." I said breathless.

"What was it like in the mindscape?" He asked another question. "If you don't mind..."

I looked away. "Well, I guess you should know about my past and everything since I'm leaving it behind. Forever."

Dipper and Mabel looked at me expectantly.

"Ok guys...get comfortable."

"So I was in the mindscape for at least two hundred years before I escaped here." I said.

"Two hundred years?!" Dipper cried out.

I shrugged. "Not that long for me."

Dipper went silent.

"Anyways...the mindscape is like an old film, just black and white and dull. Peoples dreams and lost hopes float around in there and Dream Demons feed off the fear and sorrow." I swallowed. "I was in there and I hated it there. I wanted to get out, but I didn't know how then." Dipper and Mabel were watching intently. "Bill, my dad, he had...he had human slaves. People who sold their soul for something they thought they wanted. He would make a deal and would either turn it against them or he would end up owning them for their stupidity on their choice. You don't understand, you can't make a deal with him, he is the master of the mind. He knows ways to bend deals into sounding genuine and beneficial to you."

I saw Dipper flinch in memory of his possession.

"Bill loved taunting the humans and making them do horrible things because it amuses him. I felt sorry for the humans and pitied them, but, obviously not like I can do now." I looked down quickly. "I would walk up smiling, looking crazed and utterly insane, and would ask how they liked it here...I didn't know how to be sad." I felt a human sob growing in my throat. "They would cry and scream and try to kick away from me, but magic chains bound them to obeying the Demons." I could see Mabel and Dipper's horrified faces, but I continued. "I couldn't be sad and ask 'why are you sad?', because I didn't understand sorrow. But, one day, I found this boy in the mindscape, barely older than you Dipper, who was sulking in the chains. I walked up and asked how he liked it here and he responded...with words. He said 'I hate it here. Being dead would be better. I hate it here. I should have never trusted Bill.'"

I broke off as I could see his face with the sad, yet tense, green eyes and dark brown hair and pale skin. How he looked up with ferocity and stared me in the eye like no other human. How the word sadness had penetrated through me and shocked me. "I-I suddenly felt pain, just a flash, so brief I thought I imagined it. This boy had amazed me, but he was tugged along in his chains as he walked off to go and obey Bill. I always remember him. He was different. He made me feel emotion brief enough for me to want to know." I looked over at Dipper. Dipper reminded me of that boy somehow. That hidden, unknown and unrecognized courage that was only revealed in the direst of times.

"Because of that human, that boy with real emotion, I wanted to learn about humans. The only way to escape was to be lead by a human...they only knew how to escape dreams. They did it all the time, but not me, Dream Demons don't really dream anything...not really. They are always in a dream somehow." I sighed as I remembered my attempt to get out of the mindscape. "So I went and tried to find the boy. For weeks I searched for this boy and I finally found him, cowering in the shadows, the magic chains still holding him down...I walked up to him and said...hi." I felt the pain of memories flooding back. "That was the first human-like thing I could ever say to a human." I stopped, but forced myself to continue. "He looked up and recognized me. He said 'you again?' and I had nodded. I told him that my name was Bree...his name...I don't remember." That sorrow I felt, because I couldn't remember that life changing human's name. "I told him I was going to set him free, only if he lead me out of the mindscape. He got this light in his eyes...this mischievous risky light. I bet that was the way he looked as he made a deal with Bill..." I sighed. "He said yes and I craftily undid the binding chains and he suddenly became blurry. He was waking up. I grabbed his hand and he looked up at me shocked. This strange shocked look I didn't understand. I became blurry and began to static like I was a broken TV." I paused.

"Bill...he saw me and the boy. He got so mad and said he was going to kill the boy, that I had to let go of his hand, but I didn't. I felt sorry for the boy and his torcher. Bill lunged at me and I disappeared. I was flung into Gravity Falls, I guess where the boy had been and the boy was lying on the ground. I thought he was dead. He might have been. He could have been unconscious...but I don't know. I got so scared and felt angry he had not made it. I ran away and soon saw the edge of the forest, but then a white light flashed. Bill appeared. He was so angry at me and he grabbed me and drug me far into the forest. He screamed at me at how disappointed he was in me. That I would sit in the forest until I was old enough to come home. Bill had never been so mad, but I was happy to be in reality, no matter how dangerous he said it was. He said I would never talk to another human ever again and that I would have to stay away from humans forever. But, the whole reason I came here was to study humans. I waited and waited for the opportunity to talk to humans and then I heard you two talking in the forest..."

I smiled a little bit. "I knew I could speak to you guys. I tricked Bill and ran away...but I had completely forgot to thank that boy for getting me here...I completely forgot..." I looked down and realized I was shaking.

Dipper put his hand on my shoulder. "Wow...that's an incredible story." Was all he said.

"I didn't realize how...dark your past is." Mabel whispered.

"Well, the past is the past and it's staying that way. I'm leaving it forever. My past is not me, this is me now, human." I smiled and hugged them again. "C'mon, let's go home..."