|| Chapter Six ||

I returned to Cross Academy a week later after a small ceremony for my mother and some time to comfort my father. I had to be there for him even if it was a short amount of time. I knew he loved my mother dearly and I honestly didn't know how he'd handle it in the long run.

At least I saw her one last time, right? No, I still had a hole in my heart. My mother was always the one to comfort me, to sing to me, to protect me. Now she was gone in the blink of an eye.

When I got through the gates I was welcomed by Yuuki.

"Sakura, I'm so sorry," she said solemnly while hugging me.

"What did I miss?" I asked in a monotone voice, hiding the pain I was in.

"Well, we have a new teacher named Toga Yagari. He's a Vampire Hunter."

"Can't wait to meet him," I said sarcastically, trying to lighten the mood.

Yuuki giggled slightly and she led me to the Headmaster's Office. Apparently the headmaster requested to see me once I got back. As if I didn't have enough work to make up already.

"Sakura, can you go out to town and get some supplies?" he asked when Yuuki and I arrived.

"Alone? What if she gets in trouble? Who will help her?" Yuuki asked worried.

"It's okay, Yuuki. I can handle myself." I sent a small smile her way.

"Actually, Kaname said he wanted a little fresh air as well so he'll go with her."

My eyes went slightly wide with what headmaster just said. Was this some sort of prank? Why would he even want to come with me? Unless....

"Okay, headmaster, where is he?" I asked.

"He's waiting at the gates for you. You best get going so you can be back by sunset."

I nodded and headed out. Once I reached the gates I saw my brother.

"Hello, Sakura, I'm sorry for your loss," he said sincerely.

"At least I got to see her before she died," I murmured. "Are you ready to head out?"

"Of course."

We started to walk side by side. Of course we've done this before but I couldn't remember when.

•••

"Do you want to talk about it?" Kaname asked. "You look troubled."

I shook my head. "No, it's fine. Do you know what we need to get?"

"We need to go this way to get it." He pointed south and I followed him. As we got nearer and nearer to the place lesser people were around but that was not the majority of my worries.

"Kaname, do you sense something?"

Before he can respond the ground opened beneath us and sent us flying. Kaname quickly picked me up and put me safely on my feet. Once the debris cleared up I saw a young boy in the distance....and he seemed to have mismatched colored eyes.

All of the sudden I was frozen, paralyzed in shock. Why? I had never met this boy before, yet I was just standing here wide eyed as I was actually afraid of this boy. He was only a child, a vampire child, but a child nonetheless!

After her!

What was that just now? I had never heard this voice before and yet it felt so familiar. No, not familiar, evil.

I suddenly came back into reality when I felt the warmth of Kaname's hand on my shoulder.

"It's okay," he cooed kindly at me. He put me at ease and I slightly smiled.