Chapter Fifty Seven

It might have been the stress, perhaps the change in weather even, but I honestly felt like shit. Harry had assured me it was only a common cold. I felt as though I wasn't in my own body. It was very strange.

Darcy was fast asleep at the window seat. The initial excitement of the plane ride had quickly faded away when Harry explained to her what was happening, or some of it. She had fallen asleep once grown tired of sulking.

I kept my voice low when leaning over to Harry on the end. "What happened after you moved into Sam's fraternity?" He had allowed me to ask him a few questions about his past, of which I exploited considerably.

He sighed and scratched the back of his neck uneasily. "Eventually, I came across a man named Conrad Dustin, a self-made multimillionaire who had lost his son in a car accident. He gave Sam and I a small job of cleaning offices and conference rooms. I was desperate for some money. I worked there for good few years cleaning up after him and learning a lot about how business and corporals worked. I grew close to Conrad in that time. The year before I met Cecilia was the year cancer took his life at seventy two. Never told a soul, not even me. He had no heir nor living family members to date, and so he left every last cent in his will in my name. Out of nowhere, I got a call and I was told to go to court. I went from the streets to multimillionaire."

"You were left in a will of a man you had only known for a few years?"

He shrugged lightly. "He saw me as his son. I guess I almost saw him as a father figure. He also gave me a high position in Dustin's." His head turned to his lap. "So I'm not totally the respected businessman I made myself out as. The people I worked with hated me for getting their possible promotion in such a way."

"Conrad seemed to see something in you."

"It wouldn't say much from him. He was insanely delusional, just enough to be successful. Actually, there was no one besides me that honestly enjoyed his company." He chuckled slightly to himself, shaking his head slightly. "A crazy man."

"How did you meet Cecilia?"

His smile faded to remember that he had allowed me to ask him what I pleased. "I met her... I think she was at our frat party one night."

"Do... Do I remind you of her?"

"Hazel," he scowled, "These questions are becoming irrelevant."

"I'm just curious." I looked away from him, only to feel his hand squeeze over my arm.

"I'm not answering stupid questions. Do you have another?"

"No," I exhaled. I felt my face heating up at what I had said. It had only slip out, but it was embarrassing nonetheless.

"Brilliant." He shuffled back in his seat and drew me down with him, seeming have to forgotten my question. I sneezed lightly into my hand. "I got us a hotel room."

"Great."

"I'm knackered," he mumbled, his eyes slipping shut above me.

"Likewise," I grumbled. I wiped my hand over my eyelids and yawned. I hadn't slept in forty eight hours at least.

"It's like my body is refusing to sleep," he muttered, adjusting himself beside me. "I just want to stop thinking."

"So do I, Harry..."

His eyes opened slightly. "There is one alternate option."

I hesitantly looked up at his daring stare, a trace of amusement filling his features. It seemed so misplaced. "Don't even suggest it."

His hand lowered down my side to my waist line. He glanced over to Darcy fast asleep across from us before his attention fell to my jeans.

I nudged his side as a smile grew against my lips. "Grow up, Harry. It's inappropriate."

His fingers trailed up the seams, sending a spark along my spine. "Now may be the best time seeing as things are going to get busy in New York."

"Only for a week or so, though."

He sighed at my response and threw his head back. "Or longer."

I turned to look up at him in surprise. "You said we were only going for two weeks."

"And if we like it there, we may stay longer."

I shoved his hand away and huffed. "Of course." He was setting his mind on moving into New York City. I was still very much undecided. I wasn't used to big cities. I'd had grown to love the outdoor life.

"So I'm guessing I won't be getting any then," he muttered, turning over as he shut his eyes again. I hesitated before turning away myself, his warm back bracing my own.

"I'm sorry. I just... I don't know what life is like up there, Harry."

"It won't be any different in New York. Everything will stay the same."

A lot had changed. Harry couldn't just ignore that. "I hope Darcy settles. She's already been pulled back and forth these last few months."

He sighed lightly, rolling toward me. He hadn't placed his touch on my skin, though I could feel the burn of his gaze. "She doesn't know we're not going back to the farm. I figured I would delay her tantrums."

"Delaying them won't subdue them, Harry. If this has any chance of working, you're going to have to start learning that." I shut my eyes in the next moment in an attempt to avoid his response.

He lightly trailed his fingers over my bare shoulder, sweeping hair to the side and tracing over my flesh.  "Actually, Hazel, I've learnt that all too well. Don't take me for a fool to this world. I'm doing what's best."