Chapter Thirty Eight

Harry.
My hands tore through her things, draw after draw. Clothes were littered across the bedroom floor, along with anything else that might have crossed my path.

My eyes finally laid upon the picture she had kept from me this entire time. My shaky hands gripped the corners, ready to punch another solid surface. Everything in me was boiling under the surface. I was melted and dangerous. I was ready to explode into a million pieces.

Matthew was standing tall over me. His arm was protectively hooked around my shoulder before the man who had taken the picture that day. They had just finished up fixing the old Caddy and had been celebrating with beers and cider. I at the time could only know they were acting strange, not of the danger they were to a young boy of six.

My eyes burned staring into the photo. Father Rob knew it would end up in my hands. He had given it to Hazel with intention that I eventually fall apon it. My dad sent it to him years and years ago.

Hazel had kept it this entire time.

Martha opened the door and her eyes widened as she saw me. "Sorry, Señor. I thought you leave with Mrs Styles."

"No," I murmured, casting my eyes to the barely visible floor. She saw the mess as well, and when our eyes met hers held great pity.

A small tube of pills were clutched in her fist. "What's in your hands?" I wiped a hand over my burning eyes and sniffed. I needed to distract myself.

"Just..." She stammered over words, unable to tell me. I marched over and took them from her. Viagra.

"What do you need these for, Martha? Why do you have them on you now?" This might take away from the coexisting troubles. All I wanted was to revoke myself from my body and disappear, leave this entire town.

"I can't tell you, Sr Styles."

"I think you can, or you can walk home and remain there," I snapped. "I have no—"

"You!"

My face dropped in surprise. "Me?"

She sighed and sat herself on the corner of my bed. "You've been taking one a week, Mr Styles. You didn't know about it."

My jaw slacked. "Viagra? What the fück for?"

"I don't know, Mr Styles! For Mrs Styles, I could see she's always so desperate for your care. And... I thought I could help. She took some as well."

"You gave Hazel Viagra?" I was shocked. I finally understood why I was getting some strange side effects, as well as the obvious effect. God, and Hazel... Those wet dreams she had must've been from it. In which case, I almost didn't want to get mad at Martha.

"Can we run over this for a minute? You secretly got Hazel and myself to consume sex drive drugs in hopes of what?"

"Because a man should never sleep on the couch," she replied in a small voice. "And maybe the little one would have a new little friend."

"She can't have... Never mind. Actually, we never speak of this again," I ordered. I claimed the pills from her hands. "Get back to work. Don't tell her about this at all."

"I'm sorry. I just—"

"Leave!" I didn't mean for the words to rip from my throat but they did. Martha shut the door behind herself quickly and I slunk back, the image of fear in Hazel's eyes flashing through my mind.

I fell onto the bed, staring down at the pills. And now this. A new little friend? What kind of person spikes another's drink to establish a sex life for them? I had only told her to leave the room now, but if she were unfazed by slipping me pills she would get a hearing later.