Chapter Twenty Five

"How'd it go?" I asked gently as he slumped into the kitchen chair.

He sighed and rubbed a hand over his jaw. "Some fool couldn't dilute the dip and we lost twenty five cattle, but luckily that was it."

"I'm sorry..." My hand rested over his shoulder lightly.

"No, it's fine. Things will run smoother with time," he murmured. His palm lay over my hand and his fingers slipped between mine. "Come here."

He pulled me around by the hand and lifted me onto his lap with a grin. I laughed lightly, although surprised by his movement. My legs swayed off side and he twirled a strand of my hair mindlessly as he grinned up at me. I wanted to mention his mom, but I couldn't find the words that would sabotage his smile.

"Must've been nice to see Anna again, huh?" That, on the other hand, was much easier to slip from my tongue.

His eyes developed a teasing glint. "Nice is too strong a word."

"She seemed quite happy to see you."

"Well, of course. They all are."

I slapped his shoulder and he laughed to himself. "I'm kidding, love. You don't have to be jealous."

"I'm not-" He scoffed off the rest of my sentence.

In a more desperate tone, I repeated, "I'm really not jealous."

His finger swept over my cheekbone. "You're blushing too."

"Am not!" His eyes crinkled in laughter and he slid me up to his chest with an arm around my side.

"Either way, you don't have to worry."

"I wasn't."

"Fine," he added.

"Good."

His warm arm lifted over to my bare shoulders and he closed his eyes as he brought my head against his neck. I found myself frowning rather than enjoying his warmth. I didn't question him, just because I had no idea what to ask.

"I'm really tired," he mumbled. That could've been it. Sleep-deprived and delusional. He surely wouldn't have been so open otherwise.

"You're still not getting the bed."

He smiled into my hair but said nothing. I relaxed against his body and traced shapes into his lemony scented grey shirt. Across his sharp collar bone, the small print of 'we are only human.' was inked into his golden skin. My thumb glided along the words slowly.

"It's Darcy's birthday soon," he informed. "A week actually."

"What? Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"I'm telling you now." He weaved his warm fingers into my hair whilst adjusting me across his lap.

"What about her birthday party, and presents? Who will she invite to the party?"

"I got her some things today in town. She's used to having something small with my dad and I – I guess things will have to change this year."

"Can't we invite some kids from school? She could make some friends," I suggested.

He sighed deeply against my chest, contemplating. "I suppose... but she's always preferred it small. I don't know if she'll want any more guests."

"I'll ask her sometime." He nodded lightly and trailed a hand through his own hair. It was messier than usual, and dusted at the tips.

"The pool's clean now, you know?"

"Is it?" I asked playfully.

"And it's a lovely day, dear."