Chapter 5

The final bell rings and I walk towards my house.

I hope he's not home. I know my teacher called home when she saw that bruise on my side when I was stretching. But she only called home because I lied to her.
'Kibum, would you come here,' the teacher asked. I stood up and followed her to the hallway. 'I hope I don't make you feel uncomfortable. I'm just doing this because I care about my students,' she said and I looked at her confused. She lifted the side of my shirt and her eyes grew to the size of saucers. 'Kibum, what happened here?' she asked and barely touched the nasty bruise and I cringed. 'I, um, I was pushed down some stairs today by some people,' I lied. 'I'm gonna contact your father and we'll see what we can do about the people who are picking on you. Okay?' she said. I just nodded. 'Kibum, remember that I'm not much older than you are. So not so long ago I was in the same position as you. But I didn't have someone to help me. I don't want you to go through the pain I did,' she said. I wanted to cry and tell her everything.
My teacher's more caring towards me than my own father is.

I slip into my home and hear a deep voice.

"It's about time you got home! She said she found a nasty bruise on you!" my father yells and aggressively grabs my arm. "What did you tell her as to how you got it!?"

"I only said that a bunch of kids shoved me down the stairs at school," I say avoiding eye contact.

I'm thrown against the floor then ordered to my room. I obey and hurry to my room.

I curl up on my bed and silently cry until I hear my door open.

"Kibum, someone wants to see you," my father says kindly like he always does when someone's here.

"Thanks Mr. Kim."

"You're welcome son," father says.

The door closes and I quickly wipe my tears and sit up and come face to face with Jonghyun who's eyes were wide and filled with concern.

"Key, are you okay?" Jonghyun asks.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"Well when the teacher called you out of class then came back in with a worried expression I was gonna ask you what happened but you ran out of class right after the bell rang I never got the chance to," Jonghyun says. "What are all these bruises from?"

"I tripped going down the stairs," I lie.

Jonghyun looked unconvinced, but he shrugs it off.

He pulls me into an embrace and I tense up, not ever having someone touch me without hurting me.