thirty one

Prom. The night I had been waiting for all of my teenage years. After Prom it was going to be summer. I would be spending most of my days alone, in bed, maybe spending days with Harry, or trying to find a job. Things seemed calm in this moment with Harry and Niall but I knew at any moment things could change and I would be anxious.

I was excited though, prom was a night full of excitement and it was suppose to be fun. I didn't want to miss out on such a good opportunity. Harry could no longer control me and he understood that. He may still be my boyfriend but I know he hates the idea of not being control and that soon enough we wouldn't be together. 

"Baby girl, you look worried", my mom said sneaking up behind me as I curled my hair. I was so used to being alone at home that now that she was here visiting me I didn't know how to handle it. I was thankful though that she came down to spend prom with me. I was bitter at first because all the other girls would have their moms to help them with their make up and take pictures of them but my mom would be gone. I was lucky she was taking the time out of her busy schedule to come spend this night with me. I knew it wasn't what she wanted to do but it meant a lot to me.

"I'm just anxious", I said and gave her a worried smiled.

"Do you want to talk about it?", she asked and my eyes widened at the idea of telling her all the details of what had been happening in the months where she worked and I was at home. She would probably have a heart attack hearing that she couldn't trust me to be on my own. She had never set rules for me saying that I couldn't have friends or boys over but I'm sure telling her everything would make those rules appear. I wanted to tell her and talk with her just to get her advice but I had no idea how to go about it.

"I don't know", I said," I don't know what to say or how to go about it all or how to make things right. im just really confused about everything."

I set the curling iron down and looked up to my mother. She had deep bags set under her eyes but her brown eyes were full of life. She seemed so excited and happy even though there was nothing to be happy about her. Her dark brown, almost black hair was in a tight bun on the top of her head. When she was home a lot she would wear it down so it was weird seeing it up and out of her face. She looked the same as she always did though, she was the woman I had grown up with. Her dark features were nothing like my soft ones though which I had gotten from my father.

I hadn't seen her in so long it was like a comforting hug her and just seeing her face. I didn't need to worry about anything now that I had my mom to come and take care of me.

"Boys? Friends? Grades? Teachers? I know i can help you, Daisy, all you have to do is ask. I have been through it all you know", she said and turned to leave the room. Her steps were slow which made me think she knew i would ask her to stay.

"Wait", I said and turned the chair around. she smiled and sat on my bed looking at me," Its boy drama."

"Would it be okay if i told you a story?", she asked and I nodded," the moment I found out I was having a daughter I was so excited about telling you all my stories and teaching you things about being a woman but with my job and what happened to your father, I was never able to do that."

"Your dad was and still is the perfect person for me. When I was your age I thought I couldn't live a day without him but I questioned that a lot when I met Jackson. Jackson was mysterious and dominant and I was only a child at the time, I was too innocent and clueless to know any better. I really thought that was what I wanted and I felt like Jackson and I were a match made in heaven. Jackson and I had a connection that I felt was so strong and deep but it never really was. When something really was wrong he was never there, it was your father who was.

"Some how I always ended up with Jackson until a series of traumatic events occurred and I ended up with your dad. You may be thinking that this story was bland and means nothing to you but what I want you to take from this is there will always be someone. There will always be some obsessive, strong guy who makes you believe he is perfect but he isn't. There will always be a sensitive, genuine man waiting for you and it is up to you to decide what you really want and what is good for you. They will always know the truth but it is up to you to make the decision."

The story of my mom and the dominant man sounded all too similar and hit too close to home. Harry was Jackson in her story and Niall was my dad. It made me question what I really wanted. Did I want someone like Harry who made me mad and turned on all at once or did I want someone like Niall who understood me and who really liked me? I didn't want to make either of them feel badly about themselves or feel like they were my second choice but that was how it was.

"Thank you", I said to her and she kissed my forehead and left the room. Once she left the room O began to panic. 

I only had so much time to get ready before Niall got here and I was worried about Harry. I started quickly apply the simple make up I had planned a few days ago and finished curling my hair. It was all done in a hurry but it looked nice. I didn't need to look perfect for Niall, I knew he would like me either way. Niall texted me when he arrived and I pulled my dress on headed down the stairs. My mom was going to want a million pictures of the blonde boy and I and that excited me and made me nervous all at once. A parents judgment of the person you liked was something that would always be nerve wracking.

"Hello", my mother said greeting the boy with a warm smile," Come in."

 I rushed over to Niall's side eager to get out of the way of my mother. I had never had brought a boy home to meet my mom before and this the closest I hoped I would ever have to be to that. In movies it always showed a mother being overly nice to the boy and the dad doing something typical like clean out his gun or harass the boy. I hated that. I hated that people craved their parents approval so much and I never wanted that. If I liked someone it was my choice and decision.

"I'm Niall, nice to finally meet you", he said extending his hand politely. I could see how surprised she was to see him be polite. They held some small talk about the dance, himself, and my curfew for a while and then we finally took pictures and left. I think Niall could tell I was nervous about him meeting my mother because by the time we left he was a giggling mess. 

Un Nouveau Soleil// M83