Prologue

A lot of you have pointed out that the prologue is too long, but just so you know I don't plan on changing it. Who said prologues couldn't be long? As far as I'm concerened there is no rule that says a prologue should be short. So please stop pointing that out in your comments.

Thanks and enjoy!! Comment, vote and fan!!

***********************************************************************************************************

                                                   Prologue

“Nadine Carter.”

When I heard my name I quickly walked to the stage to collect my certificate. As I stood with the principal I flashed a smile at the camera as it clicked indicating that it had taken a photo, which meant it was time for me to go and join my peers. Taking my place my eyes roamed over the audience until they landed on my mother. I grinned at her and she flashed me a tearful smile mouthing, ‘I love you’. My eyes left hers searching for my father’s but they didn’t find him. A tear threatened to fall but I refused to show any sign of weakness, if he didn’t care then neither did I. I took a deep breath, closing my eyes trying to calm myself down.

 After the ceremony had finished I left the stage and leapt into my mother’s awaiting arms. It might have been a little uncomfortable seeing the fact that she was in a wheelchair but I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else, at least she had made it, unlike others, I thought bitterly.

“I’m so proud of you sweetheart,” she cried.

I pulled back to look at her face, “Shh,” I whispered wiping away her falling tears. “It’s okay mom.” As I held my weeping mother I looked around me, all my classmates were hugging their parents. Even the ones who were divorced were both here. Even though I loved my mother with all my heart would it hurt for my father to come and see his only daughter’s graduation?

My mother must have noticed the staring because she whispered, “Don’t think about him.” She was right, every time I thought about him I either got upset or angry. I didn’t want to ruin my special night by thinking about the one person who clearly didn’t think about me.  

“Hi Mrs. Carter, hey Nadine,” my best friend Willow said coming over to us and giving me a quick hug. She pulled away and gave me a sympathetic smile, “He’s not here is he?” she asked.

Looking away I nodded, “Yeah, but I don’t care,” I said, my voice cracking slightly. I mentally prayed that neither she nor my mom heard that. She gave me a look telling me that she knew I was lying. We both knew it. My mother busied herself away with one of the mothers.

“Anyway, I came to ask you if you wanted to come to the after party?” she asked.

I shook my head, “I already told you I’m not going.”

“Please?” she asked looking at me with her gorgeous green eyes.

“I’m sorry Willow. I’m not going.” I crossed my arms over m chest as if to prove my point. My mother chose that minute to listen in our conversation.

“Go Nadine, you don’t have to worry about me,” my mother said ushering me to go with my friend.

“No mom I don’t even want to go.” It was true, I didn’t want to go. Even though a small part of me wanted to the more rational part disagreed.

“Please?” Willow pleaded again, giving me her puppy dog eyes.

“No,” I said firmly. Suddenly two muscular arms wrapped around Willow’s waist. She squealed in shock then relaxed when she realized who they belonged to; her boyfriend.