Not so Innocent Angel

It was not a conventional type of love. It was not something that he dreamed of. But by the beginning of his senior year in high school, Laverne Spence fell in love with one of his closest friends. It seemed very hopeless at first but one kiss changed everything. He knew that things would definitely change after that kiss, he was sure that he would go through many hardships because of his feelings, but those things seemed so irrelevant when Evan Richards kissed him goodbye.

            Though Evan said nothing, Laverne felt that their feelings are mutual. Evan liked him too, he was sure of that, even though Evan hadn’t said it himself. His last year in high school was blissful. Evan would regularly contact him, and they would talk for hours. They have also made a plan to live together once Laverne entered the university.

            Everything seemed so fine. He thought that he had found his happy ending with Evan, until a picture was sent in his email. It was just after his graduation when an email form someone anonymous was sent to him. In the email was a picture of Evan and a girl named Cara Morrison kissing in the middle of the crowd. Laverne’s world shattered when he saw that picture.

            Laverne was of average height. His skin is white and pale because his mother wouldn’t let him go out that much; she was afraid that her angel would get hurt. His eyes were blue and his lips were pink, his hair was short and brown. But his most notable feature was his face, his angelic and innocent face. Laverne was a handsome or more likely pretty boy. No he was beautiful. But contrary to his innocent his face, he was brave, sharp, and feisty.

            “What did you say? Where are you?” His mom asked over the phone. She was in a business trip and Laverne went out of town without her knowledge.

            “Relax, Mother, I’m perfectly fine. It’s just a bus away from home, so there’s nothing to worry about. I can take care of myself.” Laverne answered confidently as looked outside the window of the bus. “Besides I’ll be going to the same university by the start of semester, so there’s nothing you should be alarmed about.”

            “That’s not the point, Laverne. You should have told me about this, and you should have not left on your own. You could have taken someone with you.” His mother protested.

            “Exactly my point, Mother. If I told you about this trip then you would have forced me to take one of your employees as chaperone. I’m 18, Mother, I don’t need a baby sitter.” Laverne answered in a very confident tone.

            “Where are you going to stay? Does Evan know you’re coming? I’ll call him so he could take care of you.” His mother sounded very worried.

            Laverne sighed. His mother was overreacting again. “Mom…” Laverne said in a sweet and innocent voice. “I can take care of myself, don’t worry.” He continued. “Don’t call Evan, I want to surprise him.” He said in the same voice but with a mischievous grin on his lips. His mom didn’t answer. “Don’t you trust me?” He said in a gloomy and childish tone.

            “I understand, but if anything happens, call me. Understand?” His mother persisted.

            “Yes.” He said cheerfully then hanged the phone. “Ahh… you always make things bigger than they really are.” He complained with a sharp expression on his face. He took out his phone and looked at the picture of Evan and the girl named Cara. “Wait for me, I’ll take back what’s mine and I’ll make you pay you witch.” He said in a grim tone.

            Laverne noticed the person beside him. She was looking at him suspiciously. She might be thinking that he was someone weird or crazy. He smiled at her innocently and then looked away.