Chapter 26

So in the end the group did decide to take care of Morning. Fawn had figured out what the deer eats and what they need to do to take care of it. And just like before, things were seemingly going fine. And by seemingly, I mean that for the past few days, Kyle had been acting a little weird. He didn't talk as much, and almost always seemed lost in his own thoughts. He also seemed nervous about something but wouldn't tell anyone what it was. One night in particular, he was acting really weird. It was pretty cold out, and the group had made a fire, and Kyle was pretty much the only person who wasn't talking. He looked like he was in his own thoughts again, so Allena tapped on his shoulder to get his attention.
"Kyle are you feeling alright?" She asked quietly so the whole group wouldn't hear them.
"Yeah I'm fine. Why do you ask?" He replied.
"You've just been really quiet for the past few days. I was starting to get a little worried about you." She said.
"Oh. Yeah about that... I was just thinking about something that I thought might be a good idea, but it would have a lot of risks to it." He told her.
'What is it?" Allena asked.
"You'll see, I was going to tell the group anyway." Kyle said. "Hey, guys?" He added right after. Everyone looked at him.
"Yeah?" Tyler asked.
"I was thinking... You remember when I said that my dad went to work for the military and that's why Allena and I were alone?" He started.
"What about it?" Venus asked.
"I was planning on looking for him." Kyle answered.
"What?" Allena asked nervously.
"Do you even know where he is?" Fawn asked.
"Or if he's even ALIVE?!" Caden added.
"I have the slightest idea of where he is, but that's exactly it. I wanted to see if my dad's alive." He replied.
"And just how do you think you're going to figure that out?" Nani asked.
"Well, I was thinking that I would just go back to the military base and ask if they had any idea about who's alive and who's not. Or if he's even in this part of the country." He explained.
"What if they remember you from last time?" Mika asked.
"I'll explain it to them. And if they're still set on killing me after that, then I'll run away." Kyle replied.
"When will you be back?" Scarlett asked.
"Um.... Probably about 4 days after I leave."
"And if you're not back by then?" Tyler asked.
"..... Then I might be dead. Or the military kept me there with them." He said slowly.
"D-Dead?!" Allena asked.
"Well I wouldn't know about dead." Caden told her.
"Well then why did he even say that? You're freaking me out Kyle..." She said. Kyle didn't reply.
"So... What do you guys think?" He asked instead.
"Well... If you really want to." Venus answered.
"Just none of us know what's out there. You could get really hurt." Fawn added.
"True." Kyle said. But really, can I go?"
"I guess..." Nani said slowly.
"Wait a minute!" Allena exclaimed.
"What is it?" Tyler asked.
"Can I go too?" She asked Kyle.
"Both of you?" Caden added.
"Well we all just agreed that it could be dangerous out there! And he's my older brother... I can't let him go out there alone. Especially not knowing what the heck could happen to him... Or if he's even gonna live..." She answered getting really quiet on the last sentence. Kyle thought about it for a few seconds.
"I wanna come too!" Scarlett exclaimed.
"Me too bro, you never know what could happen!" Tyler said worriedly.
"I think everyone wants to come Kyle! Even Morning! I.. I just don't know what I would do if.. You know.. Um- yeah." Fawn said sounding really nervous.
"I'm sure I'll be fine, don't worry guys." Kyle said not answering there question.
"So, can we come with you?" Mika asked.
"Please!!!" Scarlett pleaded.
"No." Kyle finally answered.
"WHAT?!" Tyler yelled.
"C'mon Kyle! We can't let you go on your own!" Fawn said more loudly then she usually would talk, although that was not very loud.
"No." Kyle said again firmly.
"Why??" Venus asked.
"I already told you guys. It could be really dangerous out there, and I don't want any of you to get hurt. I would never forgive myself if one of you got hurt because of me."
"Oh fine..... Only 4 days.. Only 4 days.. WAIT , FOUR DAYS!!? That's almost a week!" Allena said worriedly.
"But-" Fawn started.
"No buts, none of you are coming with me. No one. " Kyle said.
"What the heck?! You know how dangerous it might be out there and your going ALONE?!" Nani cried.
"Yeah. Sorry." Kyle answered. "I know it could be dangerous, but who knows? Maybe it won't be." He added.
"If it might not be, LET US COME!" Mika yelled.
"For the last time NO!" He answered. "I just... Don't know alright? I already told you this. You guys are my friends, I can't let one of you get hurt. Or maybe killed."
"Are you sure you want to go through with this?" Tyler asked.
"Positive."
"Well... Okay then." Venus said nervously.
"Thank you." Kyle said.
"I just don't know what I'd do without you... I can't let something bad happen to you out there. What if you get lost? Or hurt? Or.... Oh my gosh I can't even say it." Allena said sadly.
"Sorry Allena. I just can't let you come with me. I'd much rather me get hurt then you. Same goes for all of you."
"I would say that's sweet, but we're in the middle of a deadly decision here so..." Caden said.
"That's really sweet Kyle, But.. I just don't know what I'd do if .. Oh I can't say it either. And I'm just gonna say it, I'LL MISS YOU OK!" Fawn said really sadly.
"Thanks hun, but I'll be ok. I need all you guys to stay back and watch Scarlett and Mika. Also to take care of Morning! Where is she anyway?" Kyle asked.
Kyle then looked around and realized that Morning had come up to him and lied down on top of his feet and was looking up at him.
"She doesn't want you to leave either..." Fawn said sadly.
"I know, but I have to do this. I'm sorry. Don't worry, I'll be ok!" Kyle said.