Chapter 4 : Monty Green

Lydia

After hours and hours of work the fence was finally standing and the first tents were ready as well. I decided to sleep in the dropship just like Monty,while Octavia was staying in a tent with her brother. Of Course. I had a blanket in a corner a little further away from Jasper. Monty had sat himself down next to me.

"I don't believe that you are the one you're pretending to be", he said suddelny,causing me to stare at him. How could he know this?

"What do you mean?" I asked. If he would know who I am ,then he had more knowledge about me than anyone else down here. Could I risk this?

"I saw how you looked at Jasper later today, a psycho wouldn't,but actually I would do the same if I were you", he explained to me.

"Maybe",I said. Monty knew who I was, well not really,but he knew who I wasn't. The only thing I could do was to leave it like this.

"But your name is Lydia right?"

I had to chuckle a little ,"Yes my name is Lydia".
I don't know why he was so keen to get to know me, but he melted some core inside of me. Maybe  that was the beginning of something new.
He reached his hand out to me and smiled "Nice to meet you Lydia I am Monty".

I knew exactly what he was trying,he was trying to make a new start. I took his hand gratefully and smiled. Against all the promises I made myself I took his hand.

"So why are you send down?" I asked him curious, trying to change the subject. I couldn't imagine him hurting someone or stealing something,that just wasn't his thing. Even if he did, he was such a smart kid he wouldn't let anyone catch him. He was the best in our class, he always knew the right answer.

"Me and Jasper kinda got locked up for planting the wrong things", he said laughing and I had to laugh as well. It was cute how he talked about his crime and even cuter how embarassed he was for it. It's a long time ago since I talked to someone without being scraed to be judged. For one time I could be a part of myself again.

"I guess you don't want to tell me about your crime?"

I shook my head. I wasn't ready to go through this again. What I did is in the past and not relevant for me anymore. It made me the person I am today but other than that it was just a dark chapter in my life.

"You are from the farmstation?" I asked now as he nodded, "best station of 'em all" he added chuckling.

"Are your parents on the ark?" I asked him again. The more we talked,the more I wanted to know about this boy.

"Yes and yours?" he asked me while some of the memories came back to my mind. I shook my head.

"Both dead."

"Floated?"

"No", it made me feel uncomfortable. Family made me feel uncomfortable. My Dad was my family for a long long time,while I didn't have any real good memories from my mother. She was just a woman for me, not my mother. I always felt like the love my dad gave me was more than my mom could ever afford. She couldn't love me.

"I'm sorry", Monty said and rubbed the palm of my hand.

"No need to be", I said smiling, yet pulled my hand back. His touches made me feel off, I wasn't used to this. 

"Where do you know Jasper from?" I asked him as my glimpse went over to the boy that was passed out just a few inches away from us.

"He's like my brother. Since I can think of he was always around", he said smiling.

"I guess you two did a lot bad stuff", I laughed again. Laughing made me feel free,somehow revieling but free.

"That's why they had to seperate us for Earth Skills."

"I had a best friend as well when I was younger", I admited as I thought back.

"Really?"

"Yes, her name was Camille. She lived a few apartments next to ours but on the same corridor. But her mom, her only remain parent, got floated when she was 12 and she ended up being an orphan."

"You never saw her again?", the curious tone in his voice was never so obvious like it is now.

"I did, when I was 13, one year after she became an orphan. I was stealing medicine and escaped from the guards through an ventilation shaft. After a few minutes I ended up in a room that looked like a huge laboratory. They tested kids on radiation and they took orphan kids so nobody would notice. I had to see Camille dying that day", I said as I felt how a tear escaped my eyes. Somehow the sadness just overcame me as the pictures ran through my mind. The pictures of Camilles burning skin, the screams and her milky eyes shortly before she died.

"So the rumours were true",he mumbled. I laid my head against the wall, in this moment I just felt the tiredness overcoming me. The last two days were so exhausting,it was just making me want to sleep. Monty seemed to be tired as well and after a while I fell asleep,my head still resting on the dropship wall.