Chapter 30- In-Laws and Family Laws

I love this song and I think the craziness matches this craziness. To tell the differences between the two sets of grandparents, I called the Hurst = grandpa and grandma (sometimes Grandma and Grandpa Hurst) and Ai's mom's parents = Abuelo and Abuela since they are Spanish. Hope this clears up any confusion.

Ai's POV

"Boys, did you do the chores I asked?" yells my mom as she frantically runs around the house. My grandparents on my dad's side said that they were coming down and Mom wanted everything ready.

"Yeah," I hear three times.

"Okay. What else do I have to do?" says my mom as she scans the house for any offense.

"Elena, don't worry. Everything is going to be fine," says my dad in his calming voice.

"Oh please. Your mom still hates me because of the whole anniversary incident. Not that I regret it or anything. Those two were both out of line." 

"Not to interrrupt, but if we are speaking about parents, it might be a good time to mention your parents are here," says Kai as he peeks out the big bay window.

"Ugh . . . your parents are here already," Mom comments not too happily.

"Nope. Kai means your parents. Abuelo and Abuela," comments Seth happily.

"Damn. Why are they here? They probably brought Palma too. I guess, we better welcome them in. I don't know how we are going to have room." She walks off to open the front door, leaving my dad standing in the same place frozen.

"Papa. Mama. Hi. How are you? I see you left Palma behind this time, huh?" My mom's smile was almost convincing.

"No, I'm right here." Aunt Palma steps onto the porch, making herself known.

"Oh. Yeah . . .Well, come in."

"M'ija, you really need to speak more Spanish. How else will the kids know? The education system today doesn't teach them properly," complains Abuela.

"I know. I know. Why don't you put your stuff away before you start critcizing me?"

"M'ija! Don't talk to your mama like that. We taught you better," reprimands Abuelo. His bushy grey eyebrows knitted in disapproval. My mom fidgets in her jeans before replying.

"Papi, she is talking about where I work. I take that insult personally," whined my mom.

"Then, maybe you should see there is room for improvement. Such as your clothing, dresses would work better for your . . figure than those jeans. Look at your sister. She is wearing a nice pencil skirt and blazer," continued Abuela, lowering her voice at the word figure as if it were a cuss word.

"Mr. and Mrs. Ortega, why don't you guys head upstairs?"

"If it isn't the boy who took my daughter from me," began my abuelo, but his tone sounded like he was saying my dad kidnapped Mom and not married her with her full consent.

"Yes, hello Mr.Ortega."

"So, how's work? Got shot by someone yet? Or are all the real criminals actually in the big cities?" He ended his questions with a laugh. My dad was biting his lip in a effort to keep calm.

"Abuelo and Abuela, let's go upstairs. I want to tell you about some of my college choices," said Kai, always the peacemaker.

"Oh, there's my grandson. Let's go upstairs, Maria." Kai picks up their bags and heads upstairs with Abuelo and Abuela following. Seth and I sit on the couch in the living room and prepare for the show. As soon as they heard the tell-tale sign of the door closing in Kai's room, my dad let a long breath out. My mom was still brunching up what little material she could catch on her jeans.They were a little tight, but unlike Abuela, I thought Mom looked great in them.