005

Shanny

I sat at work bored as hell. I work as a property manager at an apartment complex. I work Monday - Friday, 7a-4p but I only have to go in three days a week, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. Those are the only days the office is open, where people who live here can come and complain about something, request to move, request maintenance, pay the rent, handle any business they need to and people looking to move in set up appointments as well. I like my job, it took me a lot to get here but considering Im only twenty-four doing what I do I'm very proud of myself. Its Wednesday & I sat in my office and ate my chipotle while Grey's Anatomy was playing on my Mac Book. Once I got full I sat back and grabbed my phone. I texted Sunny and Kia back from earlier. Kia asked me to come out tonight and Sunny's message was strange.

Sister❤️: did you talk to DJ?
- no, not since like 2 days ago why?

He hasn't called me back since the other day. I figured he just being Jace and in his asshole mood. Seconds later she called me. "Hey sis!" I put her on speaker and sat my phone down, ready to get back to work on my computer when a knock on the door pissed me off when I saw who it was. "Sunny let me call you back, ok?" She agreed and hung up. "Come in." I smacked my teeth to myself. "Wassup beautiful?" Ace came in with flowers and sat down. "Wassup Ace? Thank you. Why you here?" I rubbed my forehead. "I can't come see your beautiful ass? It's a crime?" He laughed. "But naw forreal, you get off at 4pm right? Let me take you out." I shook my head. "No, that's ok Ace. I'm good. Whatever DJ told you was a lie." He laughed. "So that is your nigga?" I blew out in frustration. "No he's not."

"Well that's what everybody think.-" I cut him off. "Well everybody needa mind they damn business. Look Ace, what we had is gone. I really don't wanna revisit the past so-" He cut me off. "Aight, let me just take you out as friends! As friends Shanny! We can start off with that." God he just doesn't understand the word no! "Ace..no I don't-"
"Come on Shanny if you ain't with DJ then why you gotta say no? I said as friends ok? I promise I won't try nothing and you can leave at anytime and never talk to me again at anytime if I fuck up Ite?" I laughed and shook my head. "I know I can." He gave me a slight smirk. "Come on, Shanny. Please?" I rolled my eyes. "Ok Ace shit, come back here at 4:30pm." He got up and smiled. "Aite bet. See you in a few" He got up and left. God Shanny what you getting yourself into. I was just about to call Sunny back when someone else knocked on my office door. This time, my 2pm appointment. "Hello, Welcome to Fox Landing Apartments. I'm Shantel, you must be Mrs. Williams." I smiled and shook the middle aged lady's hand. She took a seat in front of my desk and we got down to business. For the next 45 minutes we discussed all of the details of moving and arranged payment and lease signing. After she left it was 2:54pm. I called Sunny back and put my phone on speaker on my desk while I started picking up around the desk."
"Well about time you called back." I laughed. "Sorry you never guess who walked they ass in here, but forget that what was you saying earlier?"  I locked up my closet. "I was asking did you talk to DJ. I know he's going through it right now." I stopped. "What you mean he going through it? What's happened?" I took her off speaker and put the phone to my ear. "He didn't tell you? Girl Coolie told me Nico was hurt in an explosion or something over there In Iraq!" My heart dropped. "Wait what? When?! Is he Ok?" Nico is Jace's little brother, he been in the military since Cash went in, they got caught up together at the same time, Nico was given the option of the military or prison since he was a minor & Cash ate all the charges, of course he chose the military. "Girl, I don't even know to tell you the truth. That's why I asked you did you talk to him." I grabbed my purse and keys and locked my door.

"No I haven't not for like two days. Let me call you back. I'm about to call him." Once I got in my car, I called Jace like I did yesterday and he didn't answer. I connected my phone to the bluetooth so I could keep calling him and drive at the same time. Ten calls later, still no answer. I decided to just go to his house. I put his address in my navigation and I was twenty-three minutes away.