Chapter 1 : The Beginning

The skies always look different in a werewolf's vision. It really depends on the nature and mood of one. The pure-blood Clans are special. They can speak to their ancestors through the skies at night, seeking guidance and direction in their lives.

Tonight the sky became a settling blue for Kate, a mood indicating her relaxed state of mind. She placed a gentle hand on her swelling belly. She was due this week and was excited to face the joys of motherhood. Frankly, she was a bit scared also. The Clan ancestors had been watching over her and were scared for the baby. They couldn't see the baby's future as was the case with Kate.
Mason had been insisting they abort the baby because of Kate's safety and the Clans'.
But Kate persisted, this was her first baby and no one would dare lay a finger on her unborn child. Not even Mason, her husband and the Clan Alpha.

"Doing okay, love?" Mason came out on the lawn with a plate of strawberries.

Kate hummed a positive response and smiled at her husband.
She had grown a strawberry fetish during the pregnancy and almost everyone in the Clan knew.

Mason lowered the dish to Kate's sitting position and she reached for it.
Just then, a powerful sensation gripped her belly and after that followed excruciating pain.

She blacked out.

°•°•°•°

Three weeks later.

Mason cocooned his little baby girl gently in his big arms. He looked at her lovingly. She was perfect.
He had named her Aurora Kathleen Ares. It was what Kate had wanted. Well part of it. His wife had insisted on Aurora and he on Kathleen, that is, after Kate. In the end it became both and his wife wasn't here to share their joy.

Aurora's eyes were still shut and Mason wondered how'd they be. Only her mother had seen them. It was the last thing she did see and whispered "Beautiful." 

After Aurora's birth, Mason was sure he would hate her very existence but the minute he laid eyes on her, he bonded and the fatherly instinct that everyone spoke of dawned on him. He would protect his little Aurora no matter what the Elders ruled because she was what was keeping him together. 
His heart had shattered into a million pieces after Kate's death but Aurora had kept it from turning into stone altogether.

She snuggled deeper in his arms, turning sideways and Mason saw the tiny mark on her wee neck.
It was a crescent moon enclosed in a braid of flowers and thorns.
The mark of the Crescent Clan. The only confusion was that no one to this date was born with it, it only appeared after a pure-blood mating was done.