Chapter fourty-two

After the cake we all still sit at the table and chat. Nana and Nikolaos are washing the dishes while I excuse myself and go upstairs to pops. I feel bad for him. His days are counted and he sits there all by himself when downstairs a huge party and great banters are going on.

"Hey old man." I say and sit down next to him.
"Hey Lucy. How are you?" He asks. That's my pops, always caring about other people's feelings instead of his own.
"I'm fine. How about you?" I smile at him.
"Like always. How is the party?" He asks me.

"Great. I just wished you could get downstairs. You know we could help you find a-"
"No. I already told Niki that I don't want you guys wasting your money. I know I'll die soon. I am always grateful when you come up and chat with me. Or Niki, when he watches a game with me. That's all I want." He protests and I sigh but nod. I need to respect his wishes, even if it hurts me to hear them.
Before I know it the sun is setting and I make my way downstairs again. Dinner was quiet but comfortable.

"How about we take a walk?" Nikolaos asks me once we're finished with the dishes. I nod at him and tell nana that we're going out.
I close the front door behind me and intertwine my fingers with Nikolaos'.

"Let's go to the park." He says and leads us towards the park. We walk in silence as the sun is already gone and the darkness is setting. He sets us down on the bench and looks ahead. Minutes pass before he opens his mouth.
"How did you like the surprise?" He asks, looking at me.

"I loved it. Thank you." I smile at him and he nods. He chews on his lower lip before breaking eye contact. I don't want to think about what he's probably thinking about. I know he will probably tell me when he's flying back again but I don't want to let go just yet.
"Please don't leave again." I whisper and look down.

I hear his breath hitch and feel his gaze on me. Before I can even look up he takes my chin and kisses me passionately. He pulls away shortly after.

"Lucia. I've been thinking about this. About us. I know if I go back to New York and leave you, I'll feel miserable again. After waking up next to you, I realize I don't want anything else. You fucking irritate me, Cookie. So I decided to stay here. I want to be with you. I think I'm in love with you. I never felt like this before. It is all new to me and I beg for your patience. I will find a way to work here. I mean I'm the boss, I can take more employees and build some business here in Utah, with you. Please don't let me leave you again. You're the cookie to my cream." He smiles at me and at the end of his speech I actually cry.

I haven't cried when he left me but I cry now? Talk about weird. He looks at me and wipes the tears off of my face. I smile at the cookie and cream pun.
"Don't cry, please." He whispers, kissing my lips shortly. I stand up and sit back down on his lap, straddling him.

"Do you know how happy I am right now? The last few weeks without you were hell. I thought I was happy with my job and apartment, but I never felt this happy. I'm in love with you too and I wouldn't let go of you." I place my forehead on his.

He hugs my waist tighter and pulls me towards him, kissing my lips. I feel him smile against my mouth and find myself mirror his actions.
"I want to find a nice little house near your grandparents. I want you to move in with me and wake up next to you every day. I want to cook for you and make you my queen. Lucia, say yes." He breaths out.
"Yes." I answer and he kisses me again.

"Oh, before I forget. Here." He pulls a huge red velvet box out of his jacket. I look at it confused, it's way too huge for a ring but too small for a necklace.
My eyes start to water again when I open it and find my gold wrist watch in it. I hug him tight and he chuckles and puts the watch around my wrist.

"I love you so much." He whispers in my ear.
"I love you too." I kiss his neck.

____

After we came home exhausted, we told nana about our plans and she was more than just happy. She actually squealed and jumped up and down with her 71 years. She woke up Blondie and Sean and of course told them.

To my surprise they hugged us and congratulated us. They said they knew he'd make the right decision and 'man up'. I just shook my head at them and smiled. I'm so getting used to this.

"Penny for your thoughts." I hear him whisper behind me, kissing my neck while tightening his grip on my waist.
"Us." I answer and turn around in bed, so that I'm facing him.
I stroke his jaw and see him close his eyes. He groans and moves his head to the side, kissing the palm of my hand.

"We'll make it, cookie. Trust me." He assures me.
"Not about this. I'm pretty sure you'll find a way with your job. I'm thinking about how lucky I am. And how much my life changed since I first met you." I whisper. He pulls me closer and kisses my lips.

"You changed me. I love you and I know that I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I am ashamed for what I did to you in the penthouse. I don't ever want to make you cry again. I was an asshole. Guess you can say that you broke my shell." He chuckles. I laugh and get on top of him. He holds me tight on his chest. I rest my chin on it and look at him.

"I love you." I say and he closes his eyes when I start playing with his hair.
"Say it again." He whispers.
"I love you." I kiss his lips.

"I love you too, cookie."

The end.