Chapter Fourteen: The Book

Aira found herself sitting in Chen's Noodle House in downtown Ninjago.

"Kai, quit making googoo eyes at Skylor and eat," Jay laughed.

"It's not like you don't do it too," Lloyd teased.

"Okay," Jay said. "You got me."

"It's not like Jay and I are the only ones," Kai huffed. "You should've seen the way Zane looked at Pixal. Even Cole has made goo goo eyes."

Aira was laughing by now.

"Your all weird," Lloyd said half heartedly.

"Oh that's right," Kai laughed. "Lloyd's never had a girl."

"Wait seriously?" Aira asked incredulously. She couldn't imagine a guy like Lloyd not having a girl.

"Yep," Jay said. "lil' Lloyd here has remained single."

"Can we not talk about this," Lloyd asked.

"What are you jealous?" Cole laughed.

Lloyd rolled his eyes, "hey, look! It's Skylor!"

"What? Where?" Kai said spinning around.

Everyone broke out laughing and Kai just crossed his arms. Even Zane was laughing.

"Alright, Lloyd," Aira said calming down. "Let's go."

"Where are you two going?" Cole asked slyly.

"To Doomsday Comix," Lloyd answered. "I promised Aira the new issue of Miss Magnificent."

"That is literally the stupidest name I've ever heard," Jay laughed.

"Save it, phone cable," Aira laughed. "I like them."

"Did she just call me phone cable?"

"Yes, I did," Aira said folding her arms.

"How shocking," Jay said laughing. Everyone groaned.

**********************************

By the time Lloyd and Aira had finished at Doomsday Comix, the others had gone back to the monastery.

"Lloyd?"

"Mhmm," Lloyd said. He was reading the latest issue of Starfarer and wasn't really listening. Aira snatched the comic from him. "Hey!"

"I was trying to ask your a question."

"Oh, sorry," Lloyd said immediately putting the comic away. "What do you need?"

"Will you look at the book my mom left me with me?"

"Are you sure you want me to see it?" He asked.

"I trust you," she said. "More than I've ever trusted anyone before."

"I'd be happy to," Lloyd said.

As soon as they arrived to the monastery, they went upstairs and Aira carefully picked up the brown package. She nervously unwrapped it revealing a book and another package. She decided to read the book before opening the other package.

"I'm too nervous,"  she said. To her surprise Lloyd sat down on the bed beside her and took it gently from her. He opened it and then handed it back.

"There it's open."

Aira smiled and looked at the first page.

Dearest Aira,
I know I haven't told you much about your father or my past. I've written this journal to give to you when the time is right. The other package is something that your father wanted you to have. Cherish it as much as he cherished you.

Love,
Mama

Aira held back tears. She gently handed the book to Lloyd to read and picked up the other package. She pulled back the paper and gasped. It was a locket. A beautiful and ornate locket at that. It was a heart with small diamonds along the sides. She flipped it over. Her name was engraved on the back. Aira Morro.

"That's not my last name," she said. "Maybe it was my father's name. My mom gave me her maiden name."

"Let me see," Lloyd said. She handed him the locket. His face froze.

"What is it? Lloyd? Lloyd?"

"You're Morro's daughter," he said. "I shouldn't be that surprised. You are a wind master."

"You never told me your story of Morro- well, I guess my father," Aira said.

"It's a long story," Lloyd said.

"I have time."

Lloyd took a breath and began, "it started with a break in at the museum-"

Lloyd told her the whole story. About his possession and the realm crystal. The preeminent and the attack at Stix. Her eyes grew wider as the story progressed. She felt like bursting into tears. She was the daughter of a villain.

"-But just as the Preeminent began to drag him to his doom, he gave up the realm crystal. He saved my life," Lloyd finished.

"Even though he tried to take it," Aira said bitterly.

"Aira, your father wasn't always like that," Lloyd said. "He became bitter after his death."

Aira didn't answer but turned the page. There was a picture and a note.

This is you with your father on the day of your birth.

It was a picture of a young man with shoulder length hair. He had a green streak dyed into it. He was smiling down at a small bundle.

"That's Morro all right," Lloyd said looking at the picture. "He looks so different when he isn't a ghost."

Aira flipped the page and there was another picture. Her father had a small toddler on his shoulders. The toddler was her of course. He looked so happy.

She continued to flip through pages and look at the pictures. There was even a letter addressed to her from her father.

To my beautiful daughter on her third birthday. You may not be able to appreciate this locket now but it will be invaluable in the future. Keep it and protect it. You never know when it will protect you.

"So is this a very special locket?" Lloyd asked.

"I don't know."

"Well, it will look better on you than off," he said smiling.

"Will you help me?"

"I may not be very good at getting it on," Lloyd said shifting uncomfortably.

However, he agreed to anyway. He gently pulled back her hair and placed the locket around her neck. He fumbled with the clasp for a second but clasped it just fine. Aira smiled and thanked him.

"There is only one more page," Aira said. She looked at it. It was another note from her mother.

Just after your father gave you the locket, he grew restless. When I had first met him he was on a quest to find something. One day he decided to search a spot he believed may hold what he was looking for. I begged him to be careful. He told me he loved me and held you all morning before he left. He left and promised to be home soon. But he never came back. I don't know what happened to him, but I know he is dead because he would never leave you and me. He loved you dearly. I decided to take your necklace and keep it safe. Keep it for the one you never knew. I love you. So did your father.

Aira's eyes watered as she read. Lloyd wasn't very good with comforting people but somehow he knew how to comfort her. He slipped an arm around her shoulder. She leaned into him and buried her face in his chest. He stiffened at the sudden movement but eventually relaxed.

Sometimes the best thing to do is just to not say anything, he thought to himself.

"Thank you," Aira said. "Thank you for being here for me."

"Anytime."

Next: Chapter Fifteen: Alive