Chapter Seven: Death by Association

Aira whistled as she put the last if the tea away. It had been a busy day but a good day. She hadn't had a good day in a long time.

"Does the lovely lady need a ride home?"

"On one condition, Kai," Aira laughed.

"And what's that?"

"That you stop flirting with me," she said tossing her hair.

"Okay, okay, I can take a hint," Kai said putting on a fake frown.

"I have to take inventory for this weeks order," Aira said. "It should only take me about an hour."

"You might as well just stay for dinner," Misako said from the front room.

"I wouldn't want to intrude," Aira responded nervously.

"It is not an intrusion," Zane said walking in. "I made a new recipe. I need taste testers."

"Oh if Zane is cooking than you don't want to miss out," Kai said. "Like seriously."

"Well," Aira pondered. "I guess I can. Just let me call my mom and let her know. Thank you."

"Sweet!" Kai said pumping his fist.

Aira laughed and walked over to the phone. She dialed their home number and waited as the phone dialed. She left a message when she didn't get an answer. She assumed her mom was asleep.

"Need help?"

"Oh! Hey, Lloyd," Aira said picking up her clipboard. She had been working at the shop for about three weeks now, and every now and then Lloyd would come in to help her. "I'm just taking inventory."

"Oh great," Lloyd said groaning. "That means I have to go pick up the order tomorrow."

"You could always have one of the other ninja do it," Aira said smiling.

"Eh," Lloyd shrugged. "I may be the leader but I'm still the youngest. Besides my father once said to lead by example. I actually don't mind that much."

"You father is a wise man," she said. "Why haven't I met him yet?"

"Because he is dead."

Aira dropped the clipboard and stammered, "I-I'm so sorry, Lloyd. I-I didn't know."

"It's okay," he shrugged. "I've come to terms with it. Sort of."

"You never come to terms with a death," Aira said sympathetically. "You can only accept it and not let it embitter you."

"Seems like you have some wise words up you sleeve as well."

"I have a very wise mom," she smiled. "C'mon let's go try Zane's new recipe."

********************************

Jennie opened her eyes to a loud noise in the kitchen. "Aira, is that you?"

No response.

"Aira, this isn't funny," Jennie said worriedly.

Jennie saw the voicemail light flashing on the phone. She hit the play button and Aira's voice came on.

"Hey, Mama! I was just letting you know that I will be a few hours late coming home from work. I'll probably be home around eight thirty. Some new friends of mine invited me to dinner. I hope you don't mind. If you need me call this number: 1-800-FourWinds. Love you!"

Jennie looked at the clock. It read 6:13. Another bang irrupted from the other room. Jennie weakly grabbed the side table and tried to stand. Her knees began to give but she kept her balance. She reached underneath her mattress and withdrew a long knife. The metal had a red tint to it and it had an eerie glow.

Jennie felt energy pulsing through it. Someone very special had given it to her for protection. The energy surged from the knife and up into her arm. She could feel strength returning to her legs.

"Who is there!" She yelled in a stronger and more commanding tone. "Answer me!"

"I don't know if you want me to do that," answered a deep voice.

Jennie turned towards the voice and screamed.

**********************************

"Zane, that was amazing!" Aira said gleefully.

"I second that!" Cole shouted enthusiastically.

"Cole, if you can't touch water then how can you drink it?" Aira asked as he lifted his cup to his mouth.

"Actually," he said. "I have no idea."

Everyone laughed. Aira had never met a better group of people in her life. She felt a stab of guilt. If they knew what she had done they might not want her around anymore. It was if Lloyd read her thoughts because he kicked her ankle underneath the table. She looked up and he smiled at her almost as if to say 'stop thinking about it.'

"Ouch!" She yelled playfully. "What was that for."

Lloyd's smile broadened and she kicked him back. "Ouch! You kick hard. For a girl."

"Is that a challenge?" Aira said smirking.

"Maybe," Lloyd winked.

"Dude," Cole whispered to Jay. "Is Lloyd flirting?"

"Hey!" Lloyd shouted. "I heard that!"

"I do not think he cares if you hear him," Zane stated.

"Yes," Lloyd said rolling his eyes. "I know."

"Well," Aira said standing up, "I had better get home. I said I would be home at eight thirty and it's already nine. Thank you for inviting me. I really enjoyed this."

"You can eat with us anytime," Nya said. "In fact you can hang out with us anytime."

"Thank you," Aira said smiling.

"Well, I promised the lady a ride home," Kai said standing up. "I'll be back in a few."

There were several 'goodbyes' and 'see ya'. Kai held the door for Aira and then followed her out.

"Wanna take a dragon or a motorcycle?"

"What do you think?"

"Dragon it is," Kai said powering up. "Hop on."

**********************************

"Thanks for the ride, Kai," Aira shouted as she headed inside.

"Anytime," Kai shouted and took off.

Aira opened the door and walked inside.

Did mom leave a window open? It's kinda drafty in here, she thought to herself.

"Mama, I'm home," she shouted as she put her coat away. She felt her heart clench in fear when her mom didn't respond.

Maybe she is just asleep? Aira said trying to shake off the worried feeling.

She decided to go check on her. She went past the kitchen and realized that the draft was coming from their. Aira started to panic when she saw glass shards on the floor.

"Mama!" She called out frantically. She rushed into her mother's room and froze and the grizzly sight. She felt herself getting dizzy and then she was falling.

Next: Chapter Eight: Why?