Chapter 10

Next Week

Lauren Pov
"Camz, have you seen my phone?" I hollered, shuffling through my closet. I swear it was in the room. "Where did it go?" I mumbled to myself.

I told Camila about Y/N and I last week and she understood completely. She took it well but I know she's hurt about it. She knows there's more to Y/N and I then what I'm letting on.

What else Camz did was that she asked me to stay as friends and we've been more distant ever since. I'm not gonna lie, I miss what we had but that's done with.

"Lo, I think it's right here." Camila giggled, waving my phone in the air.

I sighed out in relief, "Where was it?"

"It was in the kitchen." Camila casually replied before going back to who knows where.

I mentally slap myself in the face, while checking my phone notifications. It was a text from Y/N❤️.

Y/N❤️: Where the fuck are you?

Her appointment is in one hour. Shit.

Your POV
Where the hell is Lauren?! I can't do this without her. I'm really nervous about this whole thing. Actually worse.

My phone started to ring, Lauren🙈😍💚 is calling...

I immediately press accept.

"Lo, where are you!? You're suppose to pick me up from our apartment and take me there. Please tell me you didn't forget." I say the last part with disappointment.

"No! I'm here! Just come outside." I hang up the phone, and head out to the car.

...

Spread. Cancer. Neck. Lungs.

There's this incredible naive hope that the file in Dr. Mason's hands is the wrong one. That it's the file from the patient stepping into this office right after me. Of course, it isn't. I'm used to everything here. It was like my 3rd home. And as time passes, that realization comes knocking. Like a hammer. My hand goes searching for Lauren's. I need to hold something.

I take a deep breath.

"Does this mean ..." Lauren trails off, too afraid to say it out loud and choked up.

I watch her free hand grab her throat and she gives a look that was full of disappointment. That's kinda why I didn't want her to go.

I quickly get up from my chair in a panic reaction and exhale excessively. Did Dr. Mason just tell me, I'm close to terminal? Does all of this medical talk and shit indicate that I am actually dying? My mind is racing. I thought I was going to live.

Dr. Mason takes a seat, "Y/N..."

"There's always the replacement therapy, right? We can do chemotherapy? I know the surgery didn't work, so we can do that right? We didn't do that the first time, so now you can -" I uttered just minutes ago while shutting up.

Dr. Mason sighed and nodded. Her face was so sad that I saw few options in her eyes.

"We can try that, Y/N, but I'm afraid it won't work. You know this is just so rare for someone your age. I'm sorry, it's just ..."

She stopped talking as well and that wasn't enough for me. I just feel so angry. How could she just give up on me like that?

"But I want to try." I stressed. How is this getting worse!?

Dr. Mason puts her warm hands on mine and gently caused me to calm down. Lauren was just sitting there, completely unable to process the news.

"You fought, Y/N. Don't forget that. You fought really hard." she told me.

I started nodding and then courageously smiled, "And I'll fight until I can't anymore. We need to try. I don't want to give up."

"Okay. It's just that - I want you to be prepared." Dr. Mason explained.

I looked at her and felt the weight of the world drenching over me. It was the worst feeling I had ever experienced.

"If it doesn't work - how long ...?"

I couldn't say it. Mostly because Lauren was almost about to fall apart, but the doctor picked up on it. What if the worst was about to come?

"A year. Maybe less possibly." she whispered. Wow. I was right. Soon after she does, Dr. Mason's excuses herself from the room.

And now I'm here, flipping the fuck out - pacing up and down the room - while constantly reminding myself that I can't do anything bad in here because trashing offices are bad.

My eyes finally find green orbs and that instantly breaks my heart. This is so unfair to her. She walks over to me and I see her swallow down harshly. Lauren embraces me but I kept trying to struggle out of it. I kept mumbling the word 'no' while struggling. Not that it matters. When I finally give in, the warmth of Lauren's hands break my last resistance. My entire body starts to shake and every breath I take feels like it's my last. I bend over and gasps for air, as the top of my head finds Lauren's toned stomach. The news has me crying in this position. It's hard to process everything going right now. Nothing she can say or do will make it better.

"Can you go away now?" I sniffle through lost tears.

My voice cracks. In fact, it's the saddest thing that ever left my mouth. The combination of begging and desperation.

"Alright, babe. But I'll be back in a few minutes, okay?"

There's no room for discussion. I just move my head up and down, nodding. I'm too emotional to say 'yes' without crying. Next thing I knew Lauren pulls my face up and fiercely kisses the side of my lips, simply to assure me somehow. To assure me that she loved me no matter what.

And then Lauren leaves the room and I'm left on my own. I sit back down on the same seat that the bad news was delivered at. It doesn't affect me. Nothing affects me. The bad feeling I had before walking into this office is nothing compared to what I'm going through now.

A half an hour passes and I haven't moved a muscle. I barely even blinked. Fear and sadness can completely numb a person.

More than the worst drug.

A short knock announces Lauren's return. She walks in with eyes flaming red and cheeks swollen from crying. When she kneels in front of me, I finally look up. It's not the most loving exchange that ever took place, but Lauren's compassionate expression means the world to me.

"Are you angry?" Lauren asks.

I nod. I've never been angrier. The sadness part has passed. Welcome to the next step of grief. In about a minute, I'm capable of smashing this entire office to pieces.

It wasn't suppose to be this bad. At least I thought it didn't. I was suppose to heal and get better.

Where was my miracle?

A/N: 😁well ? vote and comment babes.