Chapter 10

"...we could start by going to the waterpark on the other side of town." Anna says as my face lights up. I used to go there all the time with Alicia, dad and Natalie.

"Oh yes please! I l-" I say before Anna interrupts me.

"Hang on I haven't finished yet! So after we get bored, there's that new Go Ape in the woods. Sounds good?"

"Oh yes it sounds amazing!" I say.

"Shall we get out swimming things together then?"

"Yup." I say as I race Anna upstairs. I thing we both thought of this as a competition.

I finish before Anna, so I sit on the stairs as if I was waiting for ages. About 10 seconds later, Anna arrives.

"What took you so long?" I say.

"You little fibber." Anna says as she ruffles my hair. "Let's get in the car then munchkin!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So. Tell me how you've been coping with everything. I'm interested." Anna asks politely.

"Well, at the start, I really missed my sister and dad. Then I moved in with Kath and everything seemed..." As I pause.

"Better?" Anna butts in.

"Worse. I hate it there. But then I met you and everything seemed better."

"Is it that bad living with Kathleen? She's kinda nice to me."

"It's bloody terrible. She makes me do her little chores, she doesn't let me go out with my friend, she smokes, drinks and is a drug addict, I think anyways, and have you seen my room?"

"No, why? Is it bad?"

It's as big as your utility room. Just a mouldy yellow colour, horrible dirty bed, small window, a tiny dresser, no blinds or curtains, must I go on?"

"I get it. But it's not like I can adopt you..." Anna says as I look up innocently at her. "Wait you want to move in with me?!" I nod slowly. "Maia, I'm sorry. I can't afford that. Kathleen is your family. Your only family. I know what it feels like to have no family."

"Why how big is your family? Mine was tiny. The three of us and Aunt is it. Maybe some cousins."

"Mines massive. 4 brothers, 3 sisters, 5 aunts and 5 uncles, and 17 cousins." Anna says as my eyes widen with shock.

"Then how do you know what it feels like to have no family?"

"Well, I come from England. My brother, sisters and parents moved when's was 4 and then mom popped out 4 more kids. We left all of our other family behind in England. Recently they all left to go back except my youngest sister who is at college."

"We should meet her! What's her name?

"It's Georgia. Named after my grandma Georgia. I'll call her."