Chapter 3

Today was the day I move in with my aunt. I can safely say I have never been more upset and scared in my life. All I know is I haven't seen aunt since I was about 4. I'm 13 now and frankly quite nervous about what she's like now.

A taxi drops me off and I walk in with my very large, heavy suitcase and walk up to the front door. By the look of the house, it's old, under cared for, small, dull and not fit for children, basically. Before I reach the door, I see the back of a girls head in the window next door, that looks oddly like Anna's, but It can't possibly be, because when she told me I was going to live with Kathleen Morton, she must have known her neighbours name.

I knock on the front door until I hear a voice saying 'it's open!' I gently open the door.

"Hi, I'm Maia," I say quietly, "your niece."

"Ahh Maia, your room is upstairs first on the right." She says sounding disappointed.

"Ok thank you." I say, before remembering some stuff I want to ask her, some about her neighbour?

"Before I go, I have some questions I'd like to ask you."

"Look kid, the lottery is on and I wanna win. You can ask one question now and save the rest for later."

"Ok, umm, what do you want me to call you."

"Kath." She says sternly. "And I'm calling you Maia no matter what."

"That's fine. I'm going to my room now"

"Bye sweetie" she says as she picks up a cigarette.

〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰

As I walk into my room, a horrible burning scent of smoke fills my nose. I immediately open the very small window turn the fan on. I start to unload my clothes into the dresser and I sit on the bed, which was horrible, but capable.

I pick up my phone and call Natalie's number, she immediately picks up, almost like she was waiting.

"Omg how is your aunt, how's the house, is it a nice area? TELL ME EVERYTHING!"

"Woah, calm down I will. I know she's rich, but her house, is pathetic. The paints chipped all over and it's extremely small. Kath never talks, just indulged in the lottery. She smokes and wears too much lipstick and blue eyeshadow. Your house is so much better."

"Come on, there must be something good there?"

"Well, there's no reminders of, you know who. And a kind nurse from the hospital lives next door, I think anyways..."

"There you go. Do you know f you're going to Ridgewood Academy still?"

"I don't know. I told her I had lots of questions I needed to ask her, doubt she will ever answer them... Let's say this. I'll ask her that one question now, and I'll text you."

"Okay, great. Bye for now!"

"Bye Nat!"

〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰

"Please Kath I have one more question!"

"You've done like 100! And I've answered every single one of them!"

"Well I have one more, please Kath."

"Alright, but make it quick!"

I have already asked about 10 questions, not 100. They were all about life in general. Like food, friends, rules etc.

"Ok, what school will I go to?"

"I've sorted out you to go to a tutors house Monday to Thursday from 9 till 3, ok?"

"Yes that's ok." I wish I went to school, but it's shorter hours than normal and I don't have to be there on Friday. I then flip the page over in my notebook and discover more questions, all about Anna.

"What? You said that was the last one?!" She sinks into her sofa.

"Please they're really important!"

"Alright. Hit me."

"So your neighbour, on the left side," I point just to make sure she's with me, "Do you know her?"

"I know very little,"

"Tell me everything."

"Her name is Anna K something, I don't know exactly, and she's a nurse at a hospital. I remember her being pregnant about 12, 13 years ago and she came back one day, without a baby. That's all I know, she never talks to me, just her other neighbours, like Kimberly."

"Ok, thank you, so if I went to this Kimberly, she would tell me more about Anna?"

"Kimberly doesn't really like talking to strangers, her and Anna have known eachother for years, plus she's really busy. Why do you want to know anyway?"

"I think I know her from somewhere and I'd like to know more."

"You're best off talking to Anna herself."

"Ok, thank you. That's it."

"Go up to your room then."

"Ok, will do." I run upstairs and smile. There's a chance Anna's my mother.