Chapter 8

Early in the morning, on Thursday, I packed my bag to stay the night at Anna's house. I was almost finished until I remembered the folder. Straight after, Anna rang the doorbell.

"Hey you!" Anna says as she ruffles my hair, I punch her arm playful hand she smiles at me.

"Shall we go then?"

"I'll carry your suitcase for you Maia."

"Ok thanks." I say as she lifts it up and into the boot of the car.

"So Maia, anything new?" Anna clearly knows I was trying to find out if she was my mom.

"Yes, actually. But, I have a folder in my bag, I need that to tell you."

"Ok. Well my boss is giving me a raise, so I can afford so much more!"

"Maybe I can move in with you." I mutter.

"Huh?"

"I said maybe I can stay more nights," I lie. "I enjoy your company and your house is so much better than mine."

"I do try my best to keep it intact. Maybe you could stay Friday to Saturday too! I have more money than I need, so that would be a good idea!" Anna says with a big smile on her face.

〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰

"So, here's the folder. I've done my research and found something's that might indicate that your my mom."

Anna takes her time looking through the pages. She looks sad and concerned every now and again.

"Maia, this Facebook status, it's not me. Half of these aren't me. It's someone else with my name."

"What!? It has to be!"

"Maia honey, there's no profile picture to show its me. I guess they were kind of in the same position I was in."

"So, Steven. What was his name?"

"His name was Alfie. Not Steven. You come here." She says as I lean in towards a hug. Calmly Anna rubs my back and kisses my head.

"Kiddo, keep looking through stuff. I know you can find out. And if you're not my daughter, fair enough. You're just a really close friend."