Four

I tap my pen against my desk, staring at the paperwork in front of me. Financial paperwork was never my favorite, yet it was something my father had me do since I was fifteen, telling me it was the most important thing to learn within the pack. Now, three years later, I absolutely loathed it. Debating to bang my head on the desk to give myself an early death or not, there's a soft tap, and Jamie enters.

"Hey, Lia. There's something that needs your assistance."

I stand, thankful for the chance to get away from the paperwork, and shut the door softly behind us. "What's going on?"

Hyper aware that he was close to me, Jamie looks down, giving me a lopsided grin. It causes my heart to flip, but mostly because we were mates."There's a rogue wishing to join the pack."

"Wow. Hasn't been one of those in a few years."

He snickers. "Yeah. My family was the last ones to ever be brought in."

The two of us fall silent after that, Jamie politely telling the members hello when we head down into the basement. My father, when he took the pack, removed the dungeons and instead turned it into a place that was heavily guarded but still comfortable for those we brought in. He, like I, were a lot happier knowing that we had strayed away from the barbaric rules that the rest of the pack still used.

Jamie holds the door open for me, the two of us walking in quietly. I give a large, warm smile to the guards who all nod their head, knowing they had to keep a cool demeanor. Cutting to the chase, I clear mythroat. "So who is it that's wanting to join?"

One of the guards point to the right, and I turn on my heel. There, sitting on the couch with three guards around her, was a girl roughly my age, if not older. She looks up at me, giving a shaky smile.

"Hi."

"Hello, I'm Alpha Liana. May I ask your name?"

Her head tilts, confused that there wasn't a male meeting her, and then seems to relax a little bit more. "I'm Jillian, Jillian Howell."

"Why are you wanting to join my pack?"

Shocked by the sudden bluntness, she blushes. "I ran away from my old pack when I was eighteen. After living rogue for a while, I realized I miss being in a pack. I missed having a family. Over the years of growing up, I've heard nothing but great things from this pack when your father ran it. I was hoping to come here for a fresh start."

"Why'd you leave your old pack?" Jamie asks, his arms crossed over his chest.

"The Alpha at the time was abusive. He lost his mate and didn't care who it was – mated or unmated. Because of that, a lot of females either died, left, or were forced to stay there because they had fallen pregnant."

I frown. Remembering the Alpha she talked about, it seemed almost like yesterday that I was just sixteen in my father's office, listening to him tell me that I wasn't allowed to go anywhere without a guard with me at all times. Apparently, rumor had it that an Alpha planned totake females from different packs if they were found alone.

"I know who you're talking about. He tried taking me once and my father was pretty pissed about it. What can you give to us as a pack member? Your strengths and weaknesses and whatnot."

"I'm very loyal and quick. I would finish my school work first, chores around the house, and would even occasionally do tasks for the Alpha before he lost his mate. I was considered a great asset to the pack once I learned how to manage and create battle plans."

I look at Jamie, both of us thinking the same thing: was she considered a threat?

Clearing his throat, Jamie looks at her again. "If you're allowed to join, you do understand that none of that will be happening here, right? You'll be under watch for at least the first month so we know for afact nothing will happen to our pack or our Alpha."