Chapter 20: Fish Tails

-Sollux's POV-
After a while of talking with Cronus and Kankri, they eventually left to go somewhere, I don't know, but I was very tired and I figured out that I don't know where to sleep. I walked around the shallow parts of the cave and found a nice little sandy spot where I could lay down. I took my spot before Karkat had the chance to get it. Fortunately he already found a spot on the other side of the cave. I could tell that he was dead asleep. The sand spot was near the water and the sand it self is actually quite soft considering it's sand. I closed my eyes and started to fall asleep but then I felt wet arms wrap around me. I opened my eyes sleepily to see Eridan there. I smiled and wrapped my arms around him then he smiled. I yawned and closed my eyes again as I fell asleep while cuddling with Eridan. I love that fish boy so much. Of course I have a dream but not just any dream. A nightmare. In it I was just sitting in the cave, minding my own business when all of a sudden, I see Eridan's violet blood stain the water. My eyes widened in horror as I looked at Eridan who's tail looked like it was about to just fall off! He came out of the water yelling in pain, then coughed out blood and fell. I ran over to him and held him in my lap as best as I could. "Eridan! What happened to you!?" I said. Then he spoke with a bit of a raspy voice, "s-sol... You.. *cough* you sh-should'vve changed whe- *cough* ...when y-you had the chance to..." I was holding his hand as his weak yet tight grip loosens and he grows limp. My eyes teared up and those tears began to stream down my cheeks. Then that's when I woke up. Eridan did too. Did I wake him up? I had some tears in my eyes same as him. Ok now I'm a bit confused here. I looked at Eridan as he looked at me we bother hugged each other immediately, "you're still alivve Sollux!"
"You're thtill alive Eridan!" We both said at the same time. Then we both pulled away from the hug and again at the same time, we both said, "wait! I'm thtill alivve? Wwhat do you mean?" Then I finally spoke by myself, "well I had a nightmare that you were practically ripped in half.. And you thaid that I th'hould've changed when I had the chance.."
"And I also had a nightmare and I found you dead, floating around in the water because of my dad.."
Whoa ok, so we had similar nightmares that had to do with me not getting a fish's tail? Wow ok. Well I guess then now when I look at it, even if I did convince his father that I'm a good person, how could we keep a relationship like this going if I don't move in with him or he doesn't move in with me? And now having these nightmare about not having a tail, I guess there's no other choice. I have to become a merman if I want to stay with Eridan for the rest of my life. "Eridan," I sighed,"I think it'th betht that I become a merman." He seemed to light up at the statement and smiled,"really sol?" I nodded, returning the smile. He hugged me tightly then said, "wwell let's do the transformation tomorroww.. I'm tired, " he yawns. I nodded again, "yea." We laid back down on the soft sand spot and fell back to sleep with pleasant dreams this time. In the morning, I woke up first. I cuddled with Eridan until he woke up. When he did I kissed his forehead. He smiled and jumped into the water. I look over at Karkat who's still passed out on his sand spot. Eridan came back holding the sea shell shaped limestone. He sat on the edge of the rock and holds the stone close, "are you ready for this sol?" He asked. I nodded and walked over to the water. I sat down on a rock so the water would be up to my chest. He handed me the stone and moved back a little as he started to work the spell and I thought about being a merman. At first I didn't feel anything, then all of a sudden I felt sharp pain throughout my whole lower body and my head. I also felt a stinging pain inside my entire body. I started to scream my lungs out from all this horrible pain. Then it just faded away. I looked down to see my long goldish yellow tail. I looked into a shallow pool of water to see my reflection, and what I saw was incredible! My skin was turned grey, I still had my mismatched eyes, but I also had four horns. I looked over at Eridan who seemed a bit worn out, but smiled at me nonetheless. I smiled back at him. And hugged him tightly. "Holy shit Sollux...? What the fuck did I miss?" I turned around to see Karkat standing there with a confused and shocked look on his face. "Well ii ju2t turned iinto a merman 2o... Waiit my voiice ii2 2liightly diifferent and my lii2p ii2 even more notiiceable..." I said with a sigh at the end. Eridan took a quick look at the inside of my mouth, "heh, you seem to have a forked tongue sol. That could be wwhy your lisp is wworse," he said with a slight chuckle at the beginning of his sentence. I just sighed again, "well at lea2t ii have you Eriidan." He smiled but then frowned as he said, "wwell..."
"What? What ii2 iit?"
"Your blood color is yellow.."
"2o what'2 wrong wiith that..?"
"You're a lowwblood. My dad wwould nevver let me be wwith a lowwblood..."
"Oh... 2hiit.."