Chapter 17: A Step Closer

-Karkat's POV-
The next day, I woke up early to get myself ready for work. I had the morning shift today, so I have to get to the coffee shop by seven. I hate waking up so early. Hopefully they got the machines working this time. I took a shower, got dressed, I grabbed my phone and went out the door. I was only working a couple of hours when that weird guy came back. I was trying to ignore him as much as I could, but I then couldn't when he walked up to me and said, "you lied to me the last time I was here," his voice had anger in it. I turned around to face him, "I'm sorry sir, but I don't know what you're talking about," I lied. That was a mistake... He grabbed the collar of my shirt, lifting me up about a foot off the floor, and yelled, "when I came here a few days ago asking about a man named Sollux Captor, you said you knew nothing of him!" I flinched. Everyone in the shop either ran out or is hiding at this point. And I think I saw one of them calling the police. "I-I don't know him!" I lied again. I've got to stop lying, he can see right through all my lies! He yelled again, "really? From what I heard you're his best friend!" He threw me against the floor and continued to yell, "now, WHERE IS HE!?"
"He... He lives in an apartment building... A few blocks from here... He-he's in r-room 22B..." That technically wasn't a lie. That is where he lives. I just didn't tell him that he's staying with me until this guy's gone. He just narrowed his glare at me and ran out of the place when the sirens could be heard and getting louder as the cops were getting closer. I also ran out of there and went straight home. When I came through the door, Eridan and Sollux where playing cards again. Sollux looked at me with a surprised and worried look on his face. He dropped the cards on the table and ran up to me, "kk are you alright!?"
"Yea I'm fine but... That guy found out I lied to him the first time I saw him... He made a whole scene at the shop. He ran off when the cops came." Sollux hugged me and I hugged back.
-Eridan's POV-
I'll be honest, when the hugged I felt a hint of jealousy, but I know that they are just friends. The thought of the Grand High Blood knowing about Karkat and Sollux being best friends is frightening. If he knows about Karkat, and where he works, he'll soon find out where he lives. Which means he'll find me and Sollux. He have to leave and go somewhere, where he can't find us ever! "Hey kar..." I said trying not to sound terrified, "if he knowws wwhere you wwork and wwho you are, then sooner or later he'll find out wwhere you livve..." Sollux and Karkat, looked at me then at each other with scared looks on their faces. Then Sollux spoke, "he'th right kk. If he knowth you he'll find out where you live then he'll find uth here. We need to hide thomewhere el2e."
"But where? There's no where else to go at this point."
Sollux looked to me, as if he's trying to tell me something. Then I realized, "actually kar, wwe could go to my secret cavve. No one evven knowws it's there. Also it's not all wwater inside. Wwe could all stay there for a wwhile." Karkat looked at me, "ok but wouldn't that mean we would be closer to where your dad is?"
"Yeah. He wwould never suspected us being this close to him. He thinks I'm on land wwith sol, wwhich I am right noww, but wwhen wwe do get to my cavve, his search for me wwould be a wwild goose chase. There'd be no point in trying to look for me on land if I'm not there." Karkat nodded and went to his room. Sollux walked back to me and sat down, "wow I knew that hiding at your cave would help uth hide from the Grand High Blood, but I never thought about it hiding uth from your dad. I almotht forgot about him. I don't know how, but I did." I smiled lightly, "think I'm an idiot sol?" I joked. He just hugged me and I hugged back. I loved him so much. I had no words to explain how perfect he is. By the time I woke up the next morning, Karkat and Sollux already packed a few things that they'll need. We were back in the car driving to the dock. My head was in Sollux's lap when I noticed that he took the shell I gave him and made it into a necklace. I smiled.